PDA

View Full Version : Brainiacs .......need numbers please

dansdad
06-23-2013, 12:07 AM
Since I was told on this forum the 2006 Chemistry book is worthless info, I need to make a list of ch,ph etc...Thank You dave

BigDave
06-23-2013, 01:07 AM
I'm sorry. I may have been a little unfair. The booklet is not completely useless, but it's usefulness is limited.
So, general pool chemistry advice - In order of concern:
1) Choose a CYA level. I run 30-40ppm. My pool gets a substantial amount of shade. We generally recommend 40-50ppm. Some of us in hotter climates run CYA around 90ppm to mitigate the effects of heat and direct sunlight. Where are you?
2) Find the FC range for your pool's CYA level from Ben's Best Guess Chart (http://www.poolsolutions.com/gd/best-guess-swimming-pool-chlorine-chart.html). Keep the pool's FC above the minimum and at or below the maximum (for its CYA level) all the time.
3)Keep the pH between 7.2 and 7.8 all the time. If it dips to 7.2, add Borax to raise the pH. If it rises to 7.8, lower it with Muriatic acid - Please read and understand Using Muriatic Acid to Safely Lower Your Pool's pH (http://www.poolforum.com/pf2/showthread.php?13111-Using-Muriatic-Acid-to-Safely-Lower-Your-Pool-s-pH).
4)Keep Total Alkalinity between 70 and 150. If you find the pH constantly needs adjustment and the TA is low, consider raising the TA with baking soda.. Check back with us for the TA reduction process.

E) Calcium Hardness has little meaning for a vinyl pool. If it's over 400, check in and we'll try to help. If not - It's OK.

dansdad
06-23-2013, 01:25 AM
That's fine Big Dave..thats what I wanted good info, I'm going to study Bens best guess. THATS why I joined today, told my wife I'm not just gonna get all this great info without helping out. Thanks again Dave

Watermom
06-23-2013, 01:33 PM
Dave (dansdad),
Thanks for the subscription! We appreciate the financial support. That helps us be able to keep the forum alive and helping people! Glad you have become a full-fledged member!

dansdad
06-25-2013, 04:55 PM
first you are welcome! my pleasure to join. A little problem We had rain last night and I checked all my numbers
ch 1
ph 7.6
alky 100
cya 6.5
cal 60

all I added this morning was 12% sodium hypochlorite 1 gallon will check again tonight 5pm.

Watermom
06-25-2013, 09:19 PM
Dave,
There is no way to distinguish a CYA reading of 6.5 with a K-2006. A reading of 30 is the minimum that you can differentiate. How are you doing the test?