PDA

View Full Version : PH is ok, Total alk is high

sevver
05-31-2006, 04:54 PM
Chlorine is 5 (I shocked earlier today, last bag before I go to bleach :D )
PH is 7.5
Total alk is 230
Total Hardness is 300
CYA is 60

How do I get the TA down without messing up the PH? I have some PH minus, and it is to be used to lower both. Pool water is clear, and there are no issues at all. I have a sand filter, heater, and N2 system in that order. These results are obtained using a 5 way test kit from walmart, drop style.

Thanks a bunch.

mwsmith2
05-31-2006, 05:02 PM
Everything you need to know about fixing your alk is right here:

http://www.poolforum.com/pf2/showthread.php?t=191

:D

Michael

ScottS
05-31-2006, 05:03 PM
Everything you need to know about fixing your alk is right here:

http://www.poolforum.com/pf2/showthread.php?t=191

:D

Michael

Dern, you're quick Michael I was just about to provide that info :D

Anyway there you go sevver, good luck with it.

sevver
05-31-2006, 05:07 PM
Yes, I just found that after I posted it, I am on it. Thanks, and sorry for not searching first, rookie BS.

sevver
05-31-2006, 07:01 PM
ok, so new results after following orders.
Chlorine is 4
PH is 7.2
TA is 190
did not test the rest, this all occured after about two hours. I will continue this trend over the next couple of days.
I gather that the PH will rise naturally as the pool gets used? As this happens I should continue to lower it, thus lowering the TA until it is in range, then allow the PH to stabilize correct? What fun! lol I am glad to see that it is working.

mwsmith2
05-31-2006, 07:19 PM
Yup. The idea is that areation of the water releases the co2 formed by the acid's reaction with the alk in the water. That will raise your pH, to which you can add more acid to drop the alk further if you so desire. It just takes some time, so you'll have to be patient. ;)

Michael

sevver
05-31-2006, 07:27 PM
I also have a lighted pool jet, which shoots sideways, and I have it turned up on the angle to blow the water causing spashing and ripples which could areate the water I believe.
The wife was out there and almost fell asleep listening to it, I may talk her into the pond yet. I really want a pond. :)