PDA

View Full Version : How to test CYA

BobbyF
05-31-2006, 04:37 PM
I have one of the 4 way test kits from Walmart. There is no mention of how to do a CYA test. Do I need a seperate test kit or need to go with a more expensive one.
Thanks
Bob

faithfulfrank
05-31-2006, 04:56 PM
Bob,
I'm not sure if the 4 way testkit DOES test CYA. I know that walmart does sell a kit that does, but I thought it was a 5 way.
I'm sure that someone here will know. Next time I'm there, I'll look.

What does it say it tests? For CYA, it should come with a separate tube with a black dot on the bottom, with a graduated scale on the side for ppm.

Frank D.

sevver
05-31-2006, 05:00 PM
Bob,
I'm not sure if the 4 way testkit DOES test CYA. I know that walmart does sell a kit that does, but I thought it was a 5 way.
I'm sure that someone here will know. Next time I'm there, I'll look.

What does it say it tests? For CYA, it should come with a separate tube with a black dot on the bottom, with a graduated scale on the side for ppm.

Frank D.
I have the five way kit from walmart and it does the CYA test, it is the larger kit, and I doubt that you have it if it is only the four way one.

Rangeball
05-31-2006, 05:02 PM
Our Walmart only sells strips... :(

sevver
05-31-2006, 05:04 PM
I got mine last year, I have not looked there this year to see, maybe they discontinued them? Typical of WalMart, whenever I need something, they are guaranteed not to have it. I am going to need more of the chemical for testing the CYA and I guarantee they don't have it. LOL

prh129
05-31-2006, 05:17 PM
The WalMart in my area sells an HTH 5-way test that includes a test for CYA. If your test kit doesn't mention it then it doesn't test for it.

By the way the calcium test in the HTH kit didn't work correctly on my water. I got Ben's kit from poolsolutions.com and the test in that kit worked fine. Ben's kit also tests for free and combined chlorine where the HTH test only tests for total chlorine.

Peter