PDA

View Full Version : Mustard Algae-PLEASE HELP!!!!

CUTURHAIR
05-31-2006, 03:12 PM
Hi,

I have been fighting mustard algae all season so far. First time with this stuff and it is relentless. I just have a little, here and there on the bottom. Vacuuming to waste, and it comes back. I have kept my pool at shock levels for over 2 weeks, and it is still there. It is a vinyl liner, IG pool, with only grocery store chemicals, as Ben recommends here.

What is the next safest step for me. Do I have to add a copper algaecide? What are the ramifications of that? I hate adding anything other than what Ben recommends.

I don't want to fight this all summer, and need a solution that will not mess up my water chemisty.

Please help if you have any suggestions to keep me from messing up what I have worked so hard to do (Ben's method only) since my liner was replaced 2 seasons ago.

I don't want to jump the gun and regret something!

Thanks,
John

sailork
05-31-2006, 03:47 PM
mwsmith posted about how he uses polyquat for mustard in this thread;

http://www.poolforum.com/pf2/showthread.php?t=770

Good luck, I've got a mild case of the stuff myself.

SS 396
06-01-2006, 07:00 AM
Last summer we fought with what we were told was Mustard Algae We did everything we were instructed to do to fight this problem by the neighboring pool store but it never left no matter how often we treated, vacuumed, scrubbed etc. I noticed the same thing in the bottom of the pool this morning after just opening it up last weekend. Just all of a sudden it appeared.I really do not want to go through this again this year so I am in need of help...or else a buyer for a used pool.

Is there a picture somewhere of what mustard algae looks like so I can identify if that is what I have?

I also copied mwsmith2 reccomendations and am going to give that a try.

Thanks in advance.

duraleigh
06-01-2006, 07:29 AM
Well, I am on a tear about chlorine this morning and this thread caught my attention. There's lots of info on the net about mustard algae.....filter out the "buy our product...it's a miracle" claims and the answer always comes back to.....chlorine....in high enough residual ppm to prevent algae (in any form) from ever getting a foothold.

If it's too late for that, the best answer appears to be, what Ben as always taught, keep the chlorine levels up high enough to combat it and brush it frequently to expose it to more.....you guessed it..chlorine

This seemed relatively informative:

http://www.parpool-spa.com/images/Pool/Care-Other/mustardalgae.gif"Mustard Algae" is probably the MOST misdiagnosed form of algae. Mustard algae is a chlorine-resistant form of green algae (yellow-green to brown in color) typically found in sunbelt areas. It often resembles dirt or sand on the bottom or sides of a pool. In our market area (Fairfield county CT), the number of TRUE Mustard Algae cases that we treat can be counted on ONE HAND in most seasons. Mustard Algae has certain characteristics: It can be brushed away very easily, but returns quickly to the same location. Although it usually creates a large Chlorine demand, it has been known to survive in high levels of Chlorine. It is extremely important to remove mustard algae growth from equipment (including the back of underwater lights & ladders).......

Each time I have experienced issues with algae, it is because I allowed my chlorine levels to go below and stay below what I know are acceptable levels.

Test your pools often and NEVER let that chlorine residual get too low. If you already have (let it get too low and algae is present), increase your Cl level to a constant ppm and brush, brush, brush.