PDA

View Full Version : Running pool at high pH - questions

tado921
06-19-2013, 12:30 PM
I am considering running my pool at high pH as discussed in the article here: http://www.poolsolutions.com/gd/hiphpool.html

I have read through the article several times and I think I am already doing it somewhat.

Pool Info: 20X40 IG Vinyl, 33K Gallons, Hayward pump and 300# sand filter. Current levels:

FC - 5
CC - 0
pH - 8.0
CYA - <30 (I'm slowly bringing this up, best reckoning is 20-25 at this point, goal is 30-35)
TA - 120
CH - 180

I follow BBB religiously using bleach, and no other pool gunk as per the article. No heater or other accessories, just a basic pool with pump and filter. The water stays clear and balanced with minimal maintenance on my part.

I have noticed that the pH will rise on its own to around 8.0, and then stay there. This has been the trend over several years, and I usually adjust it down to ~7.4 every week or so. However, the article states "Why fight it?", and that is what I am thinking.

It seems that the pool just naturally likes the pH at 8.0, and once it gets there it doesn't move. I have monitored it for the past two weeks without adjusting, and it hasn't budged.

So...since (I think) I meet all the criteria in the article, I may just leave it alone and keep everything else in range. This will effectively reduce my chemical usage to bleach only for regular maintenance. I have a couple of questions:

1. TA is in range but a little high, should I adjust this down some?
2. Does this have any effect on chlorine/CYA levels, or am I good with my target of 30-35?
3. Any other "gotchas" I should watch out for?

I'm happy to provide more details if needed.

Thanks!

Tad