PDA

View Full Version : Need advice with new pool startup please!

JonnyG
05-31-2006, 10:59 AM
Hello everyone -

Just had the water delivered for my new pool

30,000 gallons
Shotcrete/plaster

The water tested at the pool store as follows -

TC - 0
FC - 0
CC - 0
CYA - 0
Ph - 7.4

No minerals, metals showed - although I know there is some copper in the pool where I topped it off with the well hose (softened water) - light green cloud around the hose outlet that is clear to see through (not cloudy). I think the softener went into back wash last night and the hardened water was bypassed for around two hours.

Anyway, here is my plan of attack, please advise if it makes sense (also I have orded the pooldocs kit but hasnt arrived so I will pick up a walmart kit meanwhile)

1)Pool equipment startup in two days, in the mean time, I have jack's magic which I will add today - per pool company reco

2) Once the equipment is running, I will add the CYA stabilizer (I have 6 lbs that I bought from pool store)

3) After the stabilizer dispurses (1-2 hours) I will add bleach into the pool to bring up the chlorine level to 3ppm (I assume that I need to wait 1 or 2 hours before checking level???)

4) After the Chlorine is around 3ppm, I will check the PH & CYA levels and correct as required via the BBB method.

Does that sound OK? The only part I am not sure on is how long to wait between adding chemicals and testing, is there a guide somewhere?

I have a SWG but the pool company told me the I need to wait 4 weeks before starting it. Also, my filter will be running 24/7 for two weeks to scrub the plaster.

JohnT
05-31-2006, 11:05 AM
I would hit it with bleach to shock level as soon as you have circulation. The chlorine can work unimpeded without CYA in there to hammer any algae that may be started. It will take at least a week to be sure all of the CYA is dissolved, although some people's pools inhale it and it dissolves overnight.

PatL34
05-31-2006, 02:16 PM
Waiting time between testing varies among the chemicals. Here are some times to work with.

Bleach : 12 hours minimum

Muriatic Acid : 12 hours minimum

Baking soda : 6 hours

CYA : Anywhere from two days to a week, depending on how good the circulation is.

Borax : Don't really know but give it 12 hours at least.

Add bleach according to Mike Smith's Bleach Calculator, (do a search for this)
and bring the CL up to at least 12 ppm. You will be using a lot of bleach during this period.

With the new pool, you will be brushing walls and sides daily, and vacuuming to waste. Hold off on the CYA at this point as you will have to waste it until the brushing and vacuuming is over. Some may disagree with this, but CYA is not cheap, whereas bleach is. If you still want to use CYA while brushing and vacuuming, it's your call.

The calcium hardness will start to increase rapidly, inspite of adding softened water, so do not worry about this yet. Be prepared to brush, brush, brush for most of the month. Once the CH comes down to <400 ppm can you start thinking of adding salt for the SWC.

Hope this helps and keep us posted.

Pat

JonnyG
05-31-2006, 03:34 PM
How long do I need to keep the clorine level at 12 ppm and when can i let the kids swim. My 6 year old has already asked me 100 times since the pool was filled this AM. I already bought a bunch of bleach but will probably pick up some more. I originally though I could just bring it up to 3 ppm and swim. BUt sounds like I should shock as soon as the equipment starts up.

Also, the orientation for the pool will not be until a few days after the pool euipment starts up. Can I assume that I should wait until then before adding any chemicals to the water? I am asking this as I dont think they will have me start brushing until then. They specifically told me I did not need to be home for the equipment turn on but I did need to be there for the orientation.

Thanks for all the help.

Thanks
John

PatL34
05-31-2006, 05:06 PM
I presume the circulation will be done just for brushing and vacuuming.

I feel for your 6 year-old, but with vacuuming and brushing, the water is not going to be that clean. You will be adding acid, and I normally don't use the pool until 6 hours after adding, another restriction on your child. Maybe someone with children can advise you on this.

Once the orientation is over and you are circulating for 12 hours + then do your water analysis, and post the figures and we can help you further.

I assume the builder will be adding chemicals when the circulation starts, and that the orientation will cover chemical addition and operation. Hope that point is cleared up. So you don't have to bother adding any chlorine or CYA. That will be the builder's responsibility.

Hope this helps.

Pat

Hope this helps.

Pat