PDA

View Full Version : Which AG auto cleaner is best and where to buy

pwb007
03-29-2006, 08:46 PM
I've got an AG 28' about to start year 2. I've decided to purchase an automatic cleaner but I'm not sure what would work best. I've got a light system installed on the return. Anyone had good/bad experiences with a cleaner and supplier? I'm leaning towards the Polaris 65 at around $200. Thanks.

NWMNMom
03-30-2006, 03:59 PM
Its from Sta Rite (Pentair) and it works pretty good. I think they are still under $200 - BestbuyPoolSupply.com carries them, but so does a lot of others. They are pretty easy to deal with there.

It only has one moving part and does a nice job of making the full circuit of the pool in under 3 hours for about that size, less for smaller pools like our old one (less than an hour). You can set the clean pattern at 4 different variations. Attaches right into the skimmer using your pump so does not require separate power source and will even work quite well with low flow pumps. It does hang occassionally if there is a larger item, but we usually try to get the sticks, etc., out before we clean. You do need to have the ladder out or it may hang on the backside. An intermediate leaf cannister with a bypass in between the cleaner hose and the skimmer will save on stopping and cleaning out the skimmer basket if there are a lot of leaves or debris. One of the better investments we made because I HATE hand cleaning in the pool - I set a timer and come back when it rings.

CarlD
03-30-2006, 10:15 PM
The BEST??? Well, that would be certain robotics. I have an AG (with a deepend) and I am thrilled with my Dolphin Dynamic.

But if by "best" you mean best dollar to performance value, look at the Polaris 65 too.

Vacuum side cleaners ensure the junk is trapped in the filter, but they can be weak.

Return side cleaners are like a pressure water that blows the debris into a catch-bag--which can allow stuff to pass through. A handful of cotton balls can improve the filtering.

Don't know anything about the aux. pump types.

Robotics do the best job, and cost the most...Some, like the AquaBot, have a rep for being hard on the liner and are better for plaster/concrete. I have not had that with my Dolphin. All of them filter as well as a DE filter--if not better. The catch bag is three or four layers, kind of like sweatshirt material and very, very fine.

let_her_flicker
04-02-2006, 10:29 AM
I had a Polaris 65 for my 28' round and I was throughly disgusted with it. At the end of each season, the inside mechanism would wear out. It happened even with the pressure adjuster wide open. Some people have luck with it, other don't. I eventually sold it on ebay and got almost all my money back. I bought my there brand new for 149.00 w/free shipping. Good luck with what ever you decide.

kevincad
04-10-2006, 01:36 PM
I've got an AG 28' about to start year 2. I've decided to purchase an automatic cleaner but I'm not sure what would work best. I've got a light system installed on the return. Anyone had good/bad experiences with a cleaner and supplier? I'm leaning towards the Polaris 65 at around $200. Thanks.
I've got the Polaris, and love it! I put a few cotton balls in the net to help capture the finer stuff.

Watermom
04-10-2006, 04:42 PM
I also bought a Polaris 65 for my AG. It does do a very good job of picking up larger debris (leaves, twigs, etc.), but not so good about picking up dirt. Even with the cotton balls in it, it still doesn't do that great. Bottom line is that I can do a much more thorough and faster job myself with my manual vac, so that is what I do. I think I only used the Polaris once or twice all last season.

Watermom

kevincad
04-11-2006, 09:00 AM
I have leaves falling in my pool year round, so I use my Polaris every few days in the summer. Then, because my pool is round, the circulation makes the small stuff that the polaris won't pick up, goes to the middle, and I vac that up manually. That way, when I vac to waste, I don't have to add water.

gwrace1
04-13-2006, 04:21 PM
I've been using an Aquabot Pool Rover for my 26K gallon pool. It works very well and it's wheels are designed for a vinyl liner. It uses a jet pump for propulsion so just coasts on the wheels. I don't have to worry about dirt on the bottom of the pool. I got mine new last year off Ebay with an end of season discount it was $280.00 shipped to my door.