PDA

View Full Version : saltwater pool back to "chlorine" pool

gjanamarie
06-15-2013, 07:58 PM
Hello to all and thank you in advance. I have a Summer Escapes Pro-series 16x48 pool with a capacity of 5060 gallons. It came with a 1000GPH skimmerplus filter pump system. Last year I used the Intex saltwater filtration system. This year after I added all of the salt to the pool I discovered the saltwater filtration system no longer powers on; I do not know if I want to replace it. What if anything will I need to do to the water to just use the 1" or 3" HTH brand super or ultra tablets I intend to use in the floater? Also, how many of the tablets should I use? I have not tested the water yet and only have the original pump running right now. Thank you again for your help.

BigDave
06-16-2013, 12:42 PM
Bleach has the least "side effects" of any chlorine source.

Pure, unadulterated trichlor (usually in tablets) is fine if the pool needs CYA - it should be avoided if the CYA is OK or high. What's in the tabs you have? If they contain copper, I wouldn't use them.

I can't emphasize enough how important it is to buy and learn to use a Taylor K-2006 test kit - you'll need it to take control of the pool. If you buy it through the links in this thread (http://www.poolforum.com/pf2/showthread.php?14994-How-to-Get-the-Right-Testkits-for-your-Pool) the Poolforum get a few shekels to keep the lights on.

The salt in the pool won't make a bit of difference to how you chlorinate (some people like the feel of salt water).

Watermom
06-16-2013, 01:59 PM
Most SWCG manuals give a suggested CYA level that is higher than we recommend for most pools. So, make sure your CYA level is checked before you begin with the trichlor tabs. It may be that your CYA level is high enough already that it wouldn't be a good idea to use any more of the tabs.

The test kit that Dave encouraged you to buy (and I agree!) can be found in the link in my signature. (Until your registration is completed, I don't think you'll be able to follow the link he provided.)

Also, read the Best Guess Chlorine Chart in my signature below as it will help you understand the connection between CYA and needed chlorine levels.

Welcome to the Pool Forum!

PoolDoc
06-17-2013, 03:13 PM
membership updated.

gjanamarie
06-17-2013, 04:08 PM
Thank you so much for your help. "Take control of the pool", you are not kidding! Last year I used the strips that came with the pool and couldn't understand a darn thing. I am getting the better kind this year; we had an inground growing up and we used the vials. We wanted to go inground here but because of tree roots and sea level we have to upgrade to an installed above ground this year, so I have to learn it anyway. Thanks again for your help, I'm sure I'll encounter some other things along the way. Happy swimming everybody.