PDA

View Full Version : Backwash valve issue

paintballergb
06-14-2013, 12:36 AM
Hello, I am new here, my name is Greg. I recently bought my first house which came with a pool(or as I like to call it, my own personal money pit). It's old and I have had to fix many things on it. More recently I discovered the backwash push pull valve was pretty much frozen. After doing some research it appeared that the o-rings on the stem were probably pinched and preventing it from sliding up and down. After trying for hours I could not get it to budge more that a couple of inches. So I decided I would just cut it off and buy a new one since I couldn't get just the stem out. I went down to leslies to buy a whole new valve. My valve is an American Products. The guy there said they were bought out by Pentair and Pentair only makes one valve which he matched up to mine and they were not the same. I don't have any info from the previous owners about the pool. I know the filter is an American Products Titam CM though. The guy said I would probably have to buy a new filter and valve which would set me back over $700. According to the guy, they haven't made my filter in 15 plus years. I am basically wondering what are my options? Thank you

PoolDoc
06-14-2013, 01:09 PM
Your pool store guy may be right (for once!).

If you want to consider other options, post pictures of your filter & piping via Picasa, Flickr, Webshots, etc. (You can also email them to me, but that will be slower).

paintballergb
06-15-2013, 02:01 AM
I am having trouble getting my pic off my phone. I measured the valve and the bulkheads measure 8" center to center. Ill still try to get a pic up.

PoolDoc
06-15-2013, 09:54 AM
If you can send it to a phone number, the PoolForum Google voice # is (423) 300-6560 .

I don't answer it, but I usually do get a notification when a text or whatever comes through on it.

paintballergb
06-15-2013, 09:53 PM
I sent a pic.

I am thinking this might work but I would like to know for sure before I drop the money. Plus I have no experience with that site.
http://www.aqua-man.com/row_num.asp?Ic=93584

PoolDoc
06-16-2013, 04:59 PM
Looks like it might . . . but be sure to measure the spacing on the filter connections, to make SURE that they are exactly 8" center to center.

Close is not good enough!

paintballergb
06-16-2013, 11:19 PM
Is that a reputable website?

PoolDoc
06-17-2013, 09:24 AM
Sorry, I don't know the answer to that. Use a credit card, and get a tracking number.

paintballergb
06-17-2013, 11:34 PM
Is there a difference between one for sand and one for DE? Mine is DE

PoolDoc
06-18-2013, 07:59 AM
Yes.