PDA

View Full Version : Are the stains from metal or algae?

tfrailey
06-13-2013, 07:26 PM
Stains are green, blotchy, smooth to the touch. I have super-chlorinated twice to 30 ppm and brushed. They were not there when I closed my pool last fall, but they were there this spring when I opened it. I assumed they were algae since the water was very green as usual. I used a Nature 2 last season but did not replace the cartridge this year after reading about it. What is the best way to tell if the stains might be from metal rather than algae?

Watermom
06-13-2013, 07:58 PM
Rub a Vitamin C tablet on the stain and see if it removes it. If it does, it is most likely a metals issue.

tfrailey
06-13-2013, 08:13 PM
Thanks Watermom. I don't have any in the house, so I'll have to pick some up and try that. I don't suppose I can substitute an over 50 multivitamin, lol?

BigDave
06-14-2013, 02:29 PM
Yikes! No! You already suspect a metals problem - don't put "Silver" in. :D

tfrailey
06-14-2013, 08:40 PM
Haha Big Dave - thanks for the tip! OK, I tried the vitamin C tablet, rubbing on the same green spot until it was worn down to my fingers - didn't seem to have any affect.

tfrailey
08-24-2013, 06:18 PM
Just an end of summer followup to this thread. I maintained the pool water at 5 - 10 ppm FC and CYA at 60 and the stains gradually went away. I am assuming the stains were algae and just stubborn because they faded away in a few weeks and are now gone.

JimK
08-25-2013, 01:55 PM
Just an end of summer followup to this thread. I maintained the pool water at 5 - 10 ppm FC and CYA at 60 and the stains gradually went away. I am assuming the stains were algae and just stubborn because they faded away in a few weeks and are now gone.

Thanks for the follow up. :) It's mvery helpful to others who may have the same isue. Too many times people will post their problem but not follow up. :(

Btw, I had something similar happen one time. Once I started adding CL it went away.