PDA

View Full Version : Teal tint to water.

bssage
06-12-2013, 11:43 AM
I have my SWCG working well. These are the results from the store. (long story short) My debit number was stolen and used. Waiting on replacement card. In the meantime I ran out of the Reagents for CYA AND FC. So I had to get tested at the store.

Salt is pretty much middle of the manufacture recommendations for my sized pool 3400

FC 5.03
TC 5.03
CC 0
PH 7.3
TA 28 Low and need adjusted per pool store.
CH 100 (AG pool though)
copper 0
Manganese 0
Nitrates 0
Total dissolved solids 2100 (high)
Phosphates 0
Saturation Index -0.9

Advice to clear the teal color????
Thanks in advance
Bryan

Watermom
06-12-2013, 04:54 PM
Do you have algae? Have you had any times recently where your chlorine got too low?

The one reading you don't list is one that we need ---- CYA.

Shock the pool based on your CYA level. (See the Best Guess Chlorine Chart in my signature below.) Keep the chlorine at shock level until:
1) You can go from sundown one evening to within one hour of sunrise without losing more than 1ppm of chlorine
2) You have no higher than 0.5ppm CC
3) Your water is clear

Then, keep the chlorine high for one additional day for added insurance. Then, you can let your chlorine drift down and keep it between the minimum and maximum recommended levels in the Best Guess chart. Run the pump 24/7 while you are trying to clear the pool, and backwash the filter whenever the pressure rises 8-10psi over clean filter pressure.

Keep an eye on your pH. If it drops lower than 7.2, use some 20 Mule Team Borax (laundry aisle at Walmart) to raise it. Keep it between 7.2-7.8. You will also probably want to bump your Alk up to 80-100ish. Use some baking soda to do so.

The bleach calculator at the following link may be helpful. It has more than just calcs for bleach. Click on the drop down in the upper left hand corner and you'll find other calculators.

http://www.poolforum.com/zxq/BleachCalc262.exe

Hope this helps!

bssage
06-12-2013, 08:58 PM
Oops CYA 26

Thats kinda what I did. The Chlorine started as high (in the 7's) and I figured to let it drift back down. The teal green occured with higher than normal FC. And throughout I have never really had much CC. Which would be present if I were killin stuff???

I am going to follow your recommendations and work with the Borax and Baking soda. The pool store said that my low Alkalinity would cause PH bounce. I have been messing with this for about 5 days and the ph has been consistent.

Should I just try and adjust the ALK then revisit the PH, or do this things concurrently?

Thanks
Bryan

Watermom
06-12-2013, 09:14 PM
You can work on both at the same time. No problem doing so.