PDA

View Full Version : Calciium problems in an Intex pool

justlane4
06-07-2013, 09:51 PM
I recently dealt with an algae problem and got the water clean but it is extremely cloudy. A few day ago i got some DE to put in my filter and it helped some but I can still barely see the bottom. I know that with vinyl pools usually you usually don't need to worry about CH but I just measured and I'm getting a reading at 1000! My filter has been running for around two weeks now and is practically brand new with new sand. My other readings are FC: 5, PH: 7.4, TA: 150, CYA: 35 and of course the 1000 CH reading. Is there a better way to get it out or what? My pool is only 24 x 52 round so its not huge.

CarlD
06-08-2013, 08:51 AM
Draining is the only way...but don't drain it dry. If you drain it halfway and refill, your CH will be down to 500 and that may be manageable. The water is a structural component. You may have to repeat the exercise.
Do not use Cal-Hypo type chlorine as it adds calcium. Bags of "Shock" are frequently Cal-Hypo and you don't want that. Never add calcium to your pool. Vinyl pools need zero calcium, no matter what the pool store says. Calcium's for concrete, plaster and tile pools, to prevent the calcium in them from being leeched out by the water. Not an issue with vinyl.

justlane4
06-08-2013, 09:48 AM
I've been using your method for two years now. No calcium added so is it just the water im using. I recently just filled it off of my well which is very hard with iron and sulfur. Should I fill it from my house which is filtered?

BigDave
06-08-2013, 12:03 PM
How did the calcium get in there? Was it added? Maybe with Cal-Hypo? Perhaps the fill water should be tested.

justlane4
06-08-2013, 01:32 PM
I did use some cheap "shock" for the first year i owned it but have used plain bleach for the past two years. I do have horrible well water so bad that i have to rent an iron curtain and a separate softener just to make it usable. would running a hose off of my washing machine be good enough. i mean will it be clean enough to use.