PDA

View Full Version : BBB/Black liner

not2high2fly
06-06-2013, 11:38 AM
Just put a new black liner in my 16x36 8' deep end inground. Is it ok to add the CL(bleach) into the skimmer? I don't want a bleach stain from a splash on my new liner. Thank you

CarlD
06-07-2013, 10:51 AM
Generally, as long as your filter is running, it's fine to add bleach to your skimmer.
Exceptions though:
1) You have an inline chlorinator with tri-chlor tabs in it
2) You have ANY kind of dry chlorine in your skimmer--tri-chlor tabs, dichlor powder or tabs, cal-hypo tabls or powder.

stuckpipe
06-07-2013, 11:56 AM
Would not it be better to add it somewhere in the middle of the pools away from the skimmer to be most effective. On my pool it would suck it immediately into the filters and be spent on the crud in the filter.

Watermom
06-07-2013, 12:05 PM
Or pour it in front of a return jet. I pour mine into the skimmer. It doesn't stay in the filter for long as it is quickly dispersed into the pool.

CarlD
06-07-2013, 03:12 PM
The main thing is not to mix chlorine types directly.

not2high2fly
06-07-2013, 04:52 PM
I only use bleach dilluted with water in a 5 gallon bucket when I add any chemical I dillute it first. And I would add it to the center of the pool but I would need a row boat or a funnel and hose set up(which I might do)but that's going to be a pain in the butt unless I don't use the bucket and water and pour it from the jug. I have another question anybody use the stabilzer puck's(made in china)? Are they any good and what CYA level do you get? Mine are 1 puck per 5000 gallons but it doesn't say what level it will bring it to. Thank's for all your help guy's

PoolDoc
06-07-2013, 05:04 PM
Just put a new black liner in my 16x36 8' deep end inground.

For the record, there is not ANY chemical treatment process I would guarantee to leave a black liner untouched!

However Baquacil / Softswim / PHMB is *less* likely to fade a black liner than chlorine. PHMB works OK if you drain 1/3 of your pool volume annually. Doing that safely with a liner is a trick, however. You also need to replace your filter media (sand, cartridge) annually. DE filters work well if you NEVER allow the pool water to be filtered by bare filter membrane fabric that is unprotected by DE.

If you have any liner pieces left laying around, you might want to mix a cup of bleach into a gallon of water, and leave the liner bit in overnight. If it's unaffected, you are good to go.