PDA

View Full Version : Pool Pump Makes Strange/Loud Noise

PoolKid
05-30-2006, 04:53 PM
http://members.cox.net/tsliu55/pools/intex_pump_56631.jpg
That My Pump, It makes this loud noise, its strang, i look at the fan or where the water gose into it, its spinning it is also still pumping so im still running it but its makeing this werid noise and its loud, ill see if i can get a video of it later.

any help?

JohnT
05-30-2006, 06:02 PM
Does it sound anything like a washing machine? That is typical of trouble priming or an inlet restriction.

PoolKid
05-30-2006, 06:10 PM
To be honest i dont know what it sounds like lol, it's not a humming sound more like a grinding noise kinda, ill see if i get a video later

Sunny32504
05-30-2006, 09:05 PM
My Last Pump Sounded Like Generator Running And I Bet It Kept My Neigborsfrom Sleeping But That Thing Kept Working So I Kept Them Up Every Night Until One Day I Shut It Off And It Would Not Come Back On Because The Fan Finally Locked Up On It. I Never Knew What The Problem Was But It Would Also Get Hot After Running Awhile So I Would Turn It Off And Pour Water On It Concerned It Might Cause A Problem But I Ran It Alot Before I Bought A New One . Just Be Careful If It Is Getting Hot While Running .

PoolKid
05-31-2006, 06:52 AM
http://www.youtube.com/v/i_YwgAw1pMc
Theres the video !

sevver
05-31-2006, 06:56 AM
I would say that the grinding indicates that it is going to fail, you can either buy a new one, or use it until it fries itself, at which point you have to buy a new one. That is probably what I would do, but I like my money.

PoolKid
05-31-2006, 03:23 PM
I like my money to, anyone else have an ideA?

Bleach=Chlorine?
05-31-2006, 03:28 PM
Could be the bearings, when they go you will hear a screeching or whinning noise. I guess it is possible it could be a "grinding" noise as well. If your mechanically minded take it apart and check the bearings. If not, evaluate the cost of servicing the unit against running it into the ground. Could be something entirely different as well :-)

**Could not watch video so my comments may be off**

PoolKid
05-31-2006, 07:00 PM
Aight ill check, i dont really want to get it service cause this is not even a year old, anyone else have an idea?

sevver
05-31-2006, 07:04 PM
Tear it apart and look at it. Or else let it be, if you can take it apart, there may be something broken off in there that just needs to get removed, like a broken piece of plastic from a gear or something. Don't damage any gaskets or O-Rings in the process, if you aren't mechanically inclined and don't have any self confidence then leave it alone.

CrazyKittyLady
06-26-2013, 12:36 AM
I know that this is a VERY old thread, but I am wondering what the outcome was. Did you take it apart? Did it finally just fail? I am a brand new pool owner and my pump that was just installed less than 3 weeks ago just started making the exact same noise and then it tripped the breaker. I am very upset about this as we have only been able to swim for the past two days and now this. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Watermom
06-26-2013, 08:40 AM
Sorry, CKL, but this original poster has not been on the forum for the past 6 years.