PDA

View Full Version : Pool girl

DaddysBabygirl
05-29-2013, 08:16 PM
I recently came back to the homestead when my father passed & my mom needed care. I have a L shaped pool. I just replaced the sand filter & new hayward pump. I would like to know what order should you add Chemicals? And they timing in between I just opened the pool on Memorial day and all my levels are low. The Ppm confuses me as well oh I am i central n Ohio
It has been 80 low 90s the last 2 days here.
Any advice welcome

Anastasia

PoolDoc
05-29-2013, 08:37 PM
An L-shaped in-ground is probably in excess of 25,000 gallons. If you'll dump 3 gallons of PLAIN 6% household bleach in the pool EVERY evening, that should hold you till you can work down the list below.

1. Order a K2006 test kit (see below for link)
2. Purchase a plain OTO/phenol red kit locally (yellow/red drops). Use it, and report results.
3. Measure the pool:
--> Length of each side of L
--> Width of each L end
--> Depth at each L end
--> Location of deep end (short side; long side of L?) if there is one
--> Depth of deep end, if any.
4. Report this info, and we can work out a chemical plan
5. Hire someone -- pool guy -- to show you how to operate the pool equipment. Ideally, have a 3rd person video as they show you.

DaddysBabygirl
05-29-2013, 08:57 PM
I have an hth 5 way drop kit. Levels are CL 5 ph 6.5 alk 40. Cya 70. In the last 24 hours I added in order 3lbs baking soda, 4 lbs borax now 5 gallons bleach.

PoolDoc
05-29-2013, 09:02 PM
+ Read the Best Guess Chlorine page, linked in my signature
+ Hold your chlorine level in the DARK yellow range, till you have the K2006.
+ Unless your pool is concrete, do not add any more baking soda or calcium hardness.
+ Use borax (Walmart detergent section) to raise pH to 7.2 or so.

DaddysBabygirl
05-29-2013, 09:17 PM
How much borax should I use? pH is 6.5 for a 35k gallon pool. Vinyl liner. I also have white foam in the skimmer & a lot of cloudy floaters. Should I scoop out the foam? I am also running my cleaning robot thanks for replying Pooldoc :)

PoolDoc
05-29-2013, 09:26 PM
35k gallons?

Try 2 boxes at a time, added SLOWLY to a skimmer with the pump on. Drop back to 1 box once pH gets above 7.0

DaddysBabygirl
06-03-2013, 10:22 PM
Hey Ben I posted this somewhere else bc I couldn't find my way back but here goes
I think I am having the same problem. I am new to the forum ( well posting anyways) I have a 35k+ gallon L shape boy cya is 65-70 and I can't keep the CL up I have used 45 gallons of cheap bleach in 3 days. Readings are CL drops from 5 to 0 overnight. Ph is going between 6.5 & 7.2 I have used 6 boxes borax in the last week also. I have 3" chlorinating tabs running constantly thru a chlorinator. Alk is 50. Using 6 way hth kit & strips. Strips say stabilizer is low but hth says high? Very confused. I am having surgery Wednesday & need to get this in order any help is appreciated.

Hth 6 way
CL 0 just added 5 gallons bleach tested its bright yellow after 1 hour
Ph 7.2
Alk 70 :)
Cya maybe 65 Can't test anymore I ran out of drops. ( the bottles is not proportionate)

Thanks so much for having this forum I am going crazy & everybody is driving me crazy asking when it's going to be ready