PDA

View Full Version : Wedding Cake Steps or similiar

dannysal
05-28-2013, 12:55 PM
Hello everyone. Just registered today and I am (I hope!) following the new user instructions which state I must post my problem. The search feature is not working for me yet so here is my question.

I have in-ground pool is (16x32) with a vinyl liner. I am curious to know how much it will cost me to hire a pro to install these so called wedding cake steps or something similar.

Not sure if this link will work but here are two pictures of what I have in mind.

http://www.mccarthypools.com/Resources/Wedding%20Cake%20Steps%20copy.jpg

Thank you very much,
Dan

PoolDoc
05-29-2013, 05:50 PM
You can search using the link in my signature. But that sort of question is almost NEVER answered helpfully here, or on other forums. The problem is that construction and labor charges vary very widely from one part of the country to another.

So, the only answer that would be of any use to you, would have to come from someone who lives near you.

CarlD
05-29-2013, 06:26 PM
A lot of wedding cake steps are nothing more than a plastic platform and a rail or two that's attached by a flange. If you have a drill, concrete bit and concrete inserts, with screws for it, you can install the flange yourself. What I did with mine was drill a hole about a 1/4" wide in the front of each step to let air out. I attached the flanges to my deck (not concrete, and not relevant) and they hold the steps in place when the rails are screwed into them. For several years I put sand bags in the steps but stopped bothering years ago. Further, I put a piece of Plumber's Vinyl under the steps to keep them from abrading the liner. If you have a large enough piece of liner, that works too and looks more like the liner than the gray Plumber's Vinyl, but it's not as thick.

PoolDoc
05-29-2013, 07:19 PM
OK. My bad.

Danny, if you do-it-yourself like Carl suggest, you WILL be able to get a good idea about the cost! ($0.00)

;)

CarlD
05-29-2013, 07:47 PM
No, No, Ben! You are right: We don't estimate contractor costs. I, like you, am a DYI guy. If Danny is, he'll need the bit, inserts and weather-proof screws, and sweat-equity.
I don't know if you, Ben, have experience with Wedding Cake steps. I've had my set for 10 years and put them in and take them out every year--and have learned a lot over that time!.