PDA

View Full Version : Intex pump upgrade

costo
05-27-2013, 08:25 PM
I have a Intex ultra frame 20x48. I am currently using the pump that came with it which is an Intex Krystal Clear 635t 1500 gph with a size A filter(I do have the better filters that can be cleaned and reused). I have been wanting to replace the pump as I don't feel like its getting the circulation the pool needs to keep clean. I have seen it posted you don't want to get too big of a pump and I'm not sure what I can get that will hook up to the pool. Any advice would be appreciated!!

Charlie_R
05-27-2013, 09:24 PM
I would think this one (http://www.amazon.com/Intex-650-Gallon-Sand-Filter-Pump/dp/B002V1H11W/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1369704042&sr=8-1&keywords=intex+sand+filter+pump) would do ok for you.

costo
06-22-2013, 08:15 AM
Thank you for the information! I purchased the pump you linked to. I have it set up and the suction is great! I think it's going to be a good investment. The problem i am having now is with vacuuming. I already had some issues with loss of suction with my old pump when the debris bag had some dirt/sediment and also the intake valve would get clogged but this happens on filter setting also. I cannot keep suction long enough to vacuum. I wondered if I could hook up the hose to the inlet valve as I think part of my trouble might be the vacuum skimmer attachments. Has anyone had this trouble and if so what worked for you?

Charlie_R
06-22-2013, 01:19 PM
Do you still have the little blue screw-on skimmer adapter? Assuming your pool came with the over the wall tiny round thing.

The adapter would look like this (http://www.amazon.com/Surface-Intex-Skimmer-Strainer-Adaptor/dp/B0050KAGOU/ref=sr_1_9?ie=UTF8&qid=1371921427&sr=8-9&keywords=intex+skimmer). If your hose is a normal pool vacuum hose, it will just barely fit inside this, giving you a direct connection to your pump suction hose.

costo
06-22-2013, 04:42 PM
Yes I have that connector. I will try that as each time I try to use the setup hooked up to the skimmer I lose suction. Thank you! Another question.....I was unable to find a hose that I could hook up to the drain outlet on the pump so I purchased some plumbing supplies to hook a garden hose up to it. It seems to be working fine although I have only back washed once. Does anyone see a potential problem with this. My concern is such a big whole being routed to such a small hose.