PDA

View Full Version : Chlorine Demand

bmgo
05-30-2006, 09:12 AM
Well Ive been following the methods described in this forum and the results have been good. Clear water! One concern I have is the amount of liquid bleach (6%) I am adding about 2-3 qts per day to keep the FC in the best quess range. The swimmer load has been moderate. My tests
show
FC=2
pH= 7.8
CC= 0.05
TA= 170
CA= 80
CYA= ~35
Temp= 84F
Is this typical demand or is there something I need to look at?
Thanks

Sherra
05-30-2006, 09:50 AM
For some people this is normal. You might look at raising your CYA to around 40-50 and see if that helps any. According to the "best guess" chart, that would keep you in the same chlorine "need" bracket, but may help you keep the chlorine you've got a little longer...maybe stretching it out to needing every other day instead of every day.

Watermom
05-31-2006, 04:11 PM
bmgo, you didn't tell us the size of your pool. But, 2-3 qts per evening is approximately what I use when we really get into the swim season with lots of hot, sunny days. Go ahead and bump your cya up to 40-50 and see if that works better for you.

bmgo
06-02-2006, 09:53 AM
Thanks for input. I filled the pool last year (16x32) and put in ~21K gallons.
The more I read about CYA the more confused I get. Some dont like any and I have read about some States banning use in Public pools as it reduces the effectiveness of CL so much. I quess it is a necessary evil as opposed to runing Chlorine into the pool all day. A great thing about using liquid bleach is the ability to manage FC more precisely.
Thanks again