PDA

View Full Version : coversion complete still slight haze to water

CAPTCHEMCL
05-30-2006, 07:48 AM
We completed the conversion this weekend with the TC maintaining 15 ppm overnight. We think we had a white mold prior to starting the conversion and had ongoing problems with the water being so hazy that we could not see the bottom of the shallow end although the water was balanced.

The water still has a slight haze to it and I notice bubbles on anything under the water (i.e. the thermometer). We just added the stabilizer this morning (in the sock). Here are my number and stats. Any help anyone can give me to get the water clearer (remove the haze) would be greatly appreciated.

14K IG Fiberglass pool
300 lb. sand filter (with new sand and a sand helper fiter aid)
Filter has been run 24/7 since we opened the pool 3 weeks ago, backwashed everytime pressure got to 20 and new filter aid added. (i.e. Yesterday we backwashed 5-6 times through out the day.) We changed the sand once since opening the pool since the previous sand was 2 years old. We did not have much dirt in the pool as we had opened it and started with the Clear Comfort, clarifier, etc, swept to waste and everything else that is usually done when opening the pool, we were still dissatified with how poor the water looked. Then we found this site and decided to try the BBB method.

Although the haze is MUCH MUCH better than before the conversion, it is still evident.

readings this morning
TC 19.5 (I know a little high, I added a little too much last night)
FC=18.5
CC=.5 - 1
Ph = 7.5
TA= 145
CYA = just added, is still dissolving, have not taken a reading yet.

I did not test the CA although I added 19 lbs. of calcium (hardner) (at the pool guys recommendation) prior to finding this site and doing the conversion. I understand the CA being an issue if the pool is concrete or gunite; but is maintaining the CA at a certain level as important for a fiberglass pool? Thank you all for your wealth of knowledge!

ivyleager
05-30-2006, 11:35 AM
I would say that if water still has a haze, the conversion is not complete. A CC reading of 1 would also confirm that. Maintain chlorine level, and filter 24/7. I would not add any more additional products until your CC is ZERO.

This is what I found on 'sand helper filter aide'.
....."A molecular cellulose additive that is used to pre-coat sand bed in filter to improve filtration and water clarity."

Some pool owners here add a litte plain DE (a cup or two) to getter better filtration from their sand filters. It may be that your sand helper product is adding to haze. Try NOT using it. However, wait until your CC is ZERO and the haze is gone.

Good luck.

CaryB
Go 'Canes!!

CAPTCHEMCL
05-30-2006, 07:35 PM
Thank you for your information. The water has cleared considerably today throughout the day and is almost completely clear. I must add it looks wonderful and I am so thrilled to have found this site with the BBB method. I love my pool again :D