PDA

View Full Version : Is it true? Stockings in skimmer can filter algae?

NullQwerty
05-29-2006, 11:38 PM
Hey folks,

I don't have a waste line, so I can't vacuum to waste, but I do have algae I need to get rid of.

My DE filter gets it's pressure built up right away if I try to vacuum the algae.

I was told though that if you take a pair of female stockings/panty hose and put it on the inside of the skimmer basket, that it will filter out the algae so that the algae won't go to the filter and clog it. If true, I could vacuum the algae and my filter would never get clogged

This seems impossible to me though as what gets sucked up looks like green water and I don't think stockings could filter something so fine. So I wanted to see if anyone has tried this. Have you tried this? If so, does it work?

I would just try it out myself, but my wife is away this week and I'd like to spare myself the embarrassment of buying a pair of pantyhoses if possible.

I also heard about the scum sock. Would those filter out algae?

Thx!

gregugadawg
05-30-2006, 09:34 PM
it wont filter out algae but may trap some small particles, it is helpful but not to the point you are thinking

waterbear
05-30-2006, 09:50 PM
skimmer socks are relatively cheap and they do filter a lot of things out before they hit your filter. They are worth a try! I use them and am constantly amazed at what they catch. They probably won't trap all the algae but I am sure they will help some.

mbar
05-30-2006, 09:57 PM
I have some old tights I cut the leg off and put on the skimmer basket - it amazes me what shows up on them - I usually only use them in the beginning of the season, or if a lot of stuff gets blown in the pool.