PDA

View Full Version : How to find a good co. To repair pool

topless
05-17-2013, 07:41 AM
My in ground pool is 25 years old and in need of some major repairs. My concern is finding a company that can do the repairs. Most of the local pool companies are either into new pools or pool maintenance, not major repairs. I tried Angie's list, and in my area that was a big waste of time. We called in the top rated local pool repair/landscape contractor, he came out last fall. He was going to come back with a concrete contractor. Never called again, we called him twice, nothing.
Any ideas?

TomC
05-18-2013, 06:50 AM
If you know the name of the company that installed the pool, I'd call them first. Just curious, what type of repairs are needed?

Tom

topless
05-18-2013, 10:22 AM
The company that installed it is gone. All the bullnosed brick around the top is falling apart, a tree that I just cut down was breaking up the concrete by the skimmer, and right at the end of last year, is started losing water at a couple of inches a day when the pump was running. My guess is that trees roots got to either the intake or discharge pipes. The concrete needs to be taken out and some plumbing fixed. I have a guy to fix the inside of the pool, but the brick has to go.
The power cover bit the dust last year and the whole assembly needs to be replaced, the idiots that installed the pool ran drain lines and electrical underground by that tree, so power shuts off now when it rains. It's all,under the broken concrete by a 24" diameter stump.

topless
08-07-2013, 08:49 AM
Update. We found a concrete construction company to do the work that had good recommendations from people we know. Concrete demo started 7-1-2013. They found 2 breaks in the skimmer suction line where it exited the concrete that was poured around the skimmer insert. Since we removed all of the concrete deck, we are expanding the deck, the west side of the pool had no deck at all, only the brick coping. There is a hill on that side of the pool that during heavy rains would wash dirt into the pool. We cut the hill back to allow a retaining wall and 4' of deck. Since 70% of the tile had fallen off the last few years, it was removed and replaced with glass tiles that has the same colors as the tiles that are imbedded in the steps and seating areas. Thats where the pool sits, we have had 14" of rain over the last 2 weeks, so it's too wet to do anything. If there is an upside, this is not a summer that the pool would have been used much with cooler than normal temps and lots of rain.
When its finished, we will have a huge deck area where before there were 6' circles of dirt left for long dead trees, when they pored the concrete. Those circles broke up the space so they were just wrong for tables and chairs.

Marin
08-08-2013, 11:24 AM
Glad you found a company.

Most pool builders will only do repairs to plaster or tile. Very few mess with deck rennovation or even know someone who does it. But it seems you know this already.

Hope all works out and you have a more enjoyable pool deck!