PDA

View Full Version : conversion in process

aharper
05-29-2006, 07:09 PM
I have been reading these threads the past couple of weeks on how to convert from baquacil to bleach. I am in the process of opening my pool for the summer. I left my pool uncovered after closing last fall (early Sept.) knowing that I was going to convert. I cleaned and vacuumed for about a week before adding bleach. I added 3 gal. of bleach Saturday morning and by afternoon I was back down to 0ppm. I kept adding as per posts in other threads and water never changed colors, it just got clearer and clearer each time. I checked Cl Sunday at 9:00am (0ppm) added 2 more gal. at 7:30 pm Sunday checked 5ppm. I did not add any more and it checked 2ppm Monday 9:00am. at 4:00pm checked <1ppm. Water is clearer than it ever was on Baquacil. I have an 18ft x 48" above ground. The readings I got at 4pm are below:

Cl - <1
pH - 7.2
Alk - 80
hardness - 160
CYA - ??? ( couldn't get a good reading )

I did add another gallon of bleach after testing.

I need to know what to do next. I have never used chlorine (bleach) and need all the help I can get on what to do when and how much. I have seen on other threads that I need to add this and that to do different things but nowhere does it say how much to add (other than bleach) to adjust pH, alk., hardness, etc. Please help!!!!:confused:

duraleigh
05-29-2006, 09:28 PM
1. Find any post by mwsmith2 and download the bleachcalc in his sig.

2. You have 7,000 gallons in your pool....use that value in the bleachcalc.

3. Find out how much CYA is in your pool (I doubt there's any) and put in enough to raise your CYA level to 30ppm. It'll tell you how much to add on the bottle.

4. Leave your pH and Alk and CH alone...they're fine

5. Backwash if necessary and put your CYA in the skimmer.... pump running. That evening, add enough bleach to bring your Cl level up to 12-14ppm.

6. If your water looks good the next morning, let your Cl drift down on it's own to about 3-6ppm and keep it there.

That's it. If your water doesn't look good after the big dose of Cl, post your numbers for FC, TC, CH, Alk, pH and CYA and you'll get lots of help.