PDA

View Full Version : best pool heater there has to be one

criis
05-29-2006, 06:51 PM
Have a Raypak 2100 millivolt gas, that in my opinion has never worked right. too much sensitivity to pressure, and has never been realiable. Pool company has been out to servide it plenty, and it's about 5 yrs old. Now they tell me (others have said so as well) to trash it and buy a new digital or electronic start machine in delendently or through them. they can't get it working either. Are millivolts that unrelaible?

I have 22,000 gallon gunite (an Andrews special,1 skimmer, 2 jets, main drain is closed up) in-ground. Wife likes it at 82. Backwashing used to help now nothing..Did a "Fonzy" with a few light but flat taps on the gas/millivolt mech in the box and it actually fired for about 5 mins before shutting down permanently.

I've had it with this thing...pool was replasterred 5 years ago as well. What is the best made pool heater for reliability and low maint and what should I expect to pay installed? thanks!!!

Carl

MarkC
05-30-2006, 12:09 PM
The most reliable pool heaters in my opinion are heat pumps. I just cranked up my 5 year old heat pump this week and off it went providing me with nice warm water. I have never had to do a thing to this unit since I got it. I don't know a thing about gas heaters though so maybe someone else can comment on this.

halds
05-31-2006, 08:59 AM
Could it be a defective pressure switch? they tend to go awry due to corrosion from the pool water. It is relatively easy and inexpensive piece to replace. My pool guy gave me a good suggestion. Fill the end that connects to the water line with a little mineral oil. That keeps water from reaching the mechanical diaphram that senses the pressure.

We just bought a new gas heater, but our old one was alomst 30 years old. Bought a Hayward draft induced heater. It was easy to connect and started right up and so far works wonderfully. I think the biggest problem with heaters is exposure of the electronics to the elements. I am thinking of making a ventilated enclosure for it when we no longer need it for the season and winter.

The problem with heat pumps in colder climates is that they are not very efficient if the air temp is below 60 degrees, e.g. spring when one needs the heater the most.

Hal

MarkC
05-31-2006, 11:45 AM
That is true about the heat pumps. I usually wait for a warm spell to turn mine on for the season.

brittmer
05-31-2006, 12:38 PM
I have the Hayward H350 gas heater. Not sure if it is the best heater out there, but I have had it for about 3 years and works good for me.

criis
06-02-2006, 07:51 PM
thanks all..

my service company is recommending the starite, someone else recommended the levwhatever from tennasee... any thoughts?

mwsmith2
06-02-2006, 11:13 PM
I've decided on the sta-rite, and have had folks here say they work great. It's one of the most efficient heaters on the market today.

Michael

criis
06-03-2006, 08:52 AM
Need community opinion. lots to digest here, but should a review and critique of these units exist somewhere?

1) Regional Pool service company wants to put the sta-rite in and charge me $2,750 installed, includes $50 removal fee, for a unit that runs about $1600. Im thinking I buy this outright and have my plumber (neighbor) install. Seems too steep to me. Starite boasts a composite shell, PMG combustion technology for 85% efficiency weighs less than 125 pounds, and a rotating top, LED indicator lights and 360 degree access to internals. Rust-Proof Duraglas Enclosure with 10 year warranty on that, but only 2 like most others on the parts. Exact Temperature Controls, Full diagnostics for troubleshooting problems

2) What about these other models anyone have any experience with them?:

*Tankless Inc. Model sp-24-4 98.9% efficiency electric. Europeans long have laughed at us for heating water we aren't using. (This will be the way of things by 2015). btus low though, at 82,000. 5yrs pump and electrical, 10 years other. pretty impressive but you have to have a cover, which I have. Can handle up to 100,000 gallon swimming pools, consistently maintain 84 to 89 degrees Fahrenheit even in the winter! guaranteed to cost less to operate, but no idea of the pricing.

*Lochinvar Energyrite Heater. 89% efficiency. Gas. 400,000 BTU's boasts much of what I know nothing about...Hot Surface Ignition, Air Proving Switch to check for blocked vents, two levels of self-diagnostics, one each for homeowner/service technician, Posi Vent Power Induced Blower supposed to provide proper burner operation, remote control. The combustion chamber uses Ceramic Tile for life. Combustion chamber is completely sealed to keep out wind and spiders. Ceramic Tiles . Outer jacket is 16 gauge galvanized steel. corrosion-resistant bronze header by-pass. 9.9 ppm Nox rating (adjusted to 3% oxygen). 3 yrs heat exchanger /2 yrs other parts. $1800

*Minmax Stainless burners, ceramic tile, 2 year warranty, hot surface ignition 86% efficient. Thermostat drywell to prevent corrosion? about $1300.

Heat pump. Im in New england, and have always been told heat pumps even the new ones are not going to get us into the 80's when the ave temp here in Mass is about 75 degrees.