PDA

View Full Version : Intex SWCG?

bssage
04-26-2013, 02:08 PM
I see Intex has some very reasonable priced SWCG's on the market . The one I see locally is around 99 bucks for 15k gal. What is the forum vet's position on these units?

CarlD
04-26-2013, 06:21 PM
They generally are for low-volume pools. Beyond that, I don't think we've heard much.

bssage
04-26-2013, 08:28 PM
By low volume. Are you referring to how much activity in the pool or the capacity of water in the pool (the one I saw was 15k gal)? Or that they are using numbers which are overly optimistic (to be kind)?

BigDave
04-26-2013, 09:55 PM
Do you have an Intex pool? As I understand the Intex hoses and fittings are use-specific.

bssage
04-27-2013, 12:10 AM
Do you have an Intex pool? As I understand the Intex hoses and fittings are use-specific.

No I do not. I was working under the assumption that fitment issues could be overcome with a little creative engineering.

I did see the matrix in this section that list some of the other SWCG's available. But was unsure if it had been updated. And did not see price's listed. I dont think I have seen any SWCG's price even in the same zip code as the intex model.

My motivation is that I travel for work. And my support group is lacking ummmm focus. It would be nice to have a little more wiggle room for checks and adjustments keeping the pool balanced.

Here is a piece of the puzzle that I would imagine you all don't get very often. I bought the pool used. Its very nice but I think 6 or 7 years old. Also the liner is a low cost liner. I paid 500 for the pool. 300 for the liner. My point is the SWCG I could live with would not need to outlive the pool. Maybe I saw the price wrong at the store. The price at the Intex site is like $450.

So if you could suggest a (not cheap) but inexpensive alternative. I am all ears.

CarlD
04-27-2013, 12:38 AM
By low volume. Are you referring to how much activity in the pool or the capacity of water in the pool (the one I saw was 15k gal)? Or that they are using numbers which are overly optimistic (to be kind)?

I used volume in the literal sense--gallons.

BigDave
05-08-2013, 04:51 PM
As I recall, Hayward came out with an inexpensive SWCG system caled salt and swim. It's about half the price of traditional SWCGs but the cell is only warranted for one year. It sounds like the marketing plan is "get the unit in for cheap and make it up in selling replacement cells".

I don't remember anyone here having any experience with these units.