PDA

View Full Version : Pump mismatch with skimmer Flow Rate

jtran69
04-22-2013, 03:15 PM
Hi all,
My pump kept shutting off due to Low FLow when connecting to the skimmer.
The Intex skimmer came with the pool cannot keep up with the new pump .92W, 2650gph.
The pump also shut off when trying to vacuum the pool floor.
Any advise is welcome.

From Poolsolution forum, it'd recommended to add another inlet and return.
Where can I find the hardware to split the inlet and return?

CarlD
04-22-2013, 06:05 PM
I'm guessing here, big time. World-class WAG...

I'm not sure if Intex is still using the 1.25" hoses or have gone up to the standard 1.5". Nor do I know if they have standard returns or their own. If the wall is soft, that's a special kind of return. If it's a liner against a hard wall you should be able to use a standard return.

Splitting isn't that tough. You'll just need to use some Schedule 40 PVC fittings. There are tee fittings that split the flow. IF you have 1.25" plumbing, increasing to 1.5" may be enough to reduce the pressure.

There are 1.25" internal fittings (the hose slides over them and is clamped) that screw into 1.5" PVC. Be sure to use lots of Teflon tape and you MUST use at least Schedule 40 fittings.
I actually have a couple of Tees in my system, one to bleed off water to my solar panels and the second to split the flow to each of two sets of panels.

Again, this is all guess-work without being sure.

Charlie_R
04-22-2013, 07:44 PM
Intex replacement sand and cart pumps 1500 GPH and better usually come with lengths of 1.5" flex tube. Depending on where you get the replacement, most will have the larger fittings with them. There are, however, sellers that don't include the new size pool wall fittings. If yours didn't come with them, Check Amazon (http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=sr_pg_2?rh=i%3Aaps%2Ck%3Aintex+pool+parts&page=2&keywords=intex+pool+parts&ie=UTF8&qid=1366674107) for the wall fittings.

CarlD
04-23-2013, 11:34 AM
Ah. My old Intex donut used 1.25" hose and had molded-in through-wall fittings. But that's been gone for years. I'm not surprised things have changed.