PDA

View Full Version : Opening Question

jrv331
05-29-2006, 03:07 PM
I tried searching before posting but theres so much information its hard not to get lost. Im opening my pool this weekend and need some help with the order of chemicals. If I remember correctly I shock first, then get the PH to level then add the Polyquat(if needed). Is this correct? And is it ok to have my tri-chlor(?) floater going at the same time as all of this?
Sorry but this is my second season and the pool store set it up last year. They tried to sell me all kinds of chemicals for this season but I passed after reading the posts here.
Thanks
John

duraleigh
05-29-2006, 03:19 PM
Hi, John,

I think I'd adjust my ph first. If it's waaay out of whack, the sooner you get it right, the better. It is possible the chlorine will be more effective with your pH in that 7.2 - 7.6 range as well.

Actually, your pH, if not too far out, will adjust nicely in a half day at most. So you could adjust your pH in the AM and then add chlorine that evening to be most effective.

You would do well to post test results for Cl, pH, Alk, and CYA before you add your chemicals...it'll help you get off to a great start.

jrv331
05-29-2006, 05:23 PM
Dave,
Thanks for the response. I'll post the readings a day before Im ready to open the pool.
Thanks again
John