PDA

View Full Version : Sam's Wholesale Chlorine

coj79
03-15-2013, 06:57 PM
Anyone have any experience with this stuff? I use about 120lbs through out the year.....looking to save a few bucks, over Leslie's.

http://www.samsclub.com/sams/poolbrand-chlorinating-granules-50-lbs/prod4340004.ip?navAction=

Thoughts?

CarlD
03-19-2013, 06:17 PM
Since we mainly advocate using bleach or the stronger version, Liquid Chlorine, we see THAT as the best savings.

coj79
03-19-2013, 08:26 PM
Bleach bottles become a lot of trash.....especially at 6 bottles a week. If I could get it in bulk, 55 gallon barrels......that would be easy. Please tell me where i can get liquid chlorine in bulk? I would like to buy it bulk, move it in once a year, out in the fall. I agree bleach is easier, but man moving boxes of the stuff, then having to throw it all away, is cumbersome. I can not just burn the trash here in the city, and they only allow so much in your bin...

kelemvor
03-19-2013, 10:38 PM
Do you test your CYA levels regularly? Using only trichlor for sanitizing can lead to runaway cyanuric acid levels over time.

CarlD
03-19-2013, 10:59 PM
55 gallons? Never seen it. But 5 gallon carboys of 12.5% LC are common. They reusable--you pay a deposit on each, so there's no waste, and they hold the equivalent of (at least) 10 gallons of 6% bleach.
Here, in NJ, they are common, both in 5 gallon and 2.5 gallon size. I usually have 3 and have to trade them in and get new about 3 times a summer (at most), at about $17/carboy.

If your pool store has a high turnover, they may test as high as 14%, which means you need less.

coj79
03-20-2013, 06:16 PM
Cya test daily, or atleast 3 times a week. In HOT Texas, I run it up to 100 or higher....to combat sun loss of chlorine....I looked at 55gal of 10% industrial bleach, but it wasnt cheap, andwould had to re-configure the chart~

PoolDoc
03-27-2013, 04:06 PM
It is *NEVER* necessary to test CYA 3x per week, much less daily.

Under normal operations, your CYA level is a direct result of CYA added (either as CYA or as stabilized chlorine) MINUS any leakage or splash out. Neither sunlight nor evaporation removes CYA. If your pool gets really slimey, you can lose your CYA over a week or so, but that ONLY happens when there's substantial bacterial growth in the pool.

Regarding 55 gallons of bleach for home pools -- NEVER get it in that volume, unless you can keep it cool -- under 75 degrees. Industrial bleach degrades as a function of temperature and purity. Normal purity industrial bleach can go from 10% to 5% in 2 weeks of high temperature storage (> 90 deg F.)

Lerronious
05-10-2013, 04:35 PM
I'm trying to get my head around the cost benefit of using liquid bleach (sodium hypochlorite) vs triclor. My pool supply warehouse has 15 gallons of 12.5% at $95 compared to 40lbs of triclor at $85. Running the numbers through the calculator indicates there nearly 3x more FC in the triclor. Being a chemist, I'm definitely on board with most everything advocated on BBB; I just can't get past this on point. And to be clear, I'm not trying to be a wise guy. I just want a clear picture of how I'll maintain my pool this summer with opening day being next weekend.

donfranko
05-12-2013, 03:14 PM
Hey Carl, where do you get 5 gal car boys in north NJ. Pool store with same name as guy from the Airplane movies ?

CarlD
05-12-2013, 06:04 PM
I generally like to get it at Sun Pools on rt 22 in Greenbrook. National Pools also used to sell it, but the rt 22 store east of Sun Pools closed and if there are others, I don't know, as has Branch Brook (Napco). Pelican Pools on Rt 10 in Randolph(?) and other places sells, I think, 2 1/2 gallon jugs--costs a bit more that way. Search by phone. I like Sun Pools best because when I test their 12% it always comes up at 14%--they turn over a HUGE amount each season. Branch Brook's "12%" tested at around 9-10% making it a poor deal and meant it sat too long. Rix Pools in East Hanover on Ridgedale sells the 2 1/2 gals--I think.

donfranko
05-14-2013, 12:01 PM
Thanks. I'll search and hopefully find something nearby. Are those bears & Snow on your profile pic ? Need something sunnier I think :)

CarlD
05-14-2013, 06:39 PM
Thanks. I'll search and hopefully find something nearby. Are those bears & Snow on your profile pic ? Need something sunnier I think :)

Lol! No, those are 3 Belgian Sheepdogs playing in the snow..relatives of our boy. They look bigger in the pic, but they are the size of Collies and look like black wolves.

PoolDoc
05-20-2013, 07:39 PM
Being a chemist, I'm definitely on board with most everything advocated on BBB; I just can't get past this on point. And to be clear, I'm not trying to be a wise guy.

BBB is an attitude; not a recipe. I've used bleach -- a LOT of bleach -- in servicing large commercial pools, but I've also used SWCGs, trichlor, dichlor and cal hypo. I've even used bromine (BCDMH), though that was under duress!

Use the trichlor, if your CYA is not already too high.

dansdad
06-11-2013, 04:31 PM
Can I use granulated cl in a bucket of water then pour it in? The reason I don't use a floater is because I have a fiberglass pool, so I use liquid. Just wondering

PoolDoc
06-11-2013, 06:06 PM
You sort of have to pre-dissolve cal hypo; but usually dichlor dissolves fast enough so that's not an issue. If you have hodge-podge dichlor, I don't know -- it's possible that some of those blends are slow to dissolve.

dansdad
06-11-2013, 07:54 PM
no that's good advice on mixing I can buy dry cal hypo and use it not mixing with liquid ch, just when I run out. I ws using a bottle of 12% a week but thanks to this site its been curtailed