PDA

View Full Version : Starting fresh

dubbedout
03-12-2013, 12:57 AM
We purchased our current home (with pool) in June 2012, throughout the remaining summer the CYA was really high. The local Leslie's advised us we should drain and refill for the following year. After finding this forum and purchasing the K2006 kit and testing myself I couldn't even get a reading for CYA, the black dot disappeared about half way to the 100 mark. So I decided to go ahead and drain our pool and is currently refilling with city water.

This year I'd like to go with liquid chlorine instead of granular, Leslie's carries it for $9.59 for 2 gallons but it doesn't state the % of the actual sodium hydrochlorite. http://www.lesliespool.com/Home/Pool-Chemicals/Chlorine%20Tabs/14240.html
Home Depot sells Kem-tek liquid chlorine for $6.86 for 2 gallons and on their MSDS shows 10% sodium hydrochlorite.

My initial thought is go load up on the Home Depot liquid chlorine but figured I would check here first.

Also, anything else I should know since I'm refilling (as I type)?

Thanks!

PoolDoc
03-28-2013, 04:28 PM
You are in AZ. Unless the chlorine is stored in an air conditioned space, you do NOT want to use it, once daytime temps reach 85 degrees or higher.

Sodium hypochlorite breaks down rapidly as a function of concentration, temperature, and purity. Household bleach (6%) is much less of problem, since it is (a) lower in %, (b) usually purer, & (c) usually stored in an AC'd space.