PDA

View Full Version : what do you think about this pricing

tkrein
01-13-2013, 10:50 AM
I think this pricing is way to high let me know
first I start by introducing my self My wife and I bought a house with a 40x 20 swimming pool that needs a new liner. so I wen to the local pool store and got a quote to have one installed. while there they said I should put 2 main drains in for safety due to suction of one drain could hold someone on the bottom of the pool and they would drown. I have 2 little kids so I think anything that would help with safety is a must.

okay here are the prices

new liner 6150 installed this includes replacing the faces of the drains the skimmer and inlets and outlets.

pressure test the underground lines 250.00
replace main drain to two main drains 325.00
new automatic pool cover 10600.00 and 1000.00 to relocate the wiring. ( since the switch is in the pool cover storage box.)
install solar panel heat 6800.00 exclude the electrical hook up.
700.00 for new recirculate pump if the current one is bad or not big enough to handle solar power panels
150.00 for piping for the solar panel heat.
they want a 2500 dollar down payment to get put on the schedule.
this doesn't include any other items they might find wrong with the pool

what do you think about the cost to get my pool up and running I think this is ridiculous
do you think $26345.00

now I think I can do most of the work myself the liner I am worried about and think I would have them do that.
anyone know were I can get a automatic safety pool cover most places wont give pricing as they want me to have someone install it for me.

sdoyle21
10-26-2013, 03:27 PM
That sounds. Like a freaking joke to me! You could get a brand new one for that!

CarlD
10-26-2013, 11:28 PM
I don't know anything about pool installation in ND but....you really, REALLY need to get a couple more estimates, preferably from guys not sharing prices with this contractor. Have you checked with the cost of what you want with the internet companies?

The liner itself, even custom made, is no more than $1100-$1200, maybe $1500.. Installation shouldn't be much more than liner.
Auto cover for $11,000??????? Which you will use in June, July and August, and either leave on all winter or replace with a $1200 safety cover. Given everything else I'm guessing it's about double what you should pay. Or more.

And $6800 for solar panels PLUS plumbing? What are they made of, Mother of Pearl? Are they to be installed on your roof or on ground stands? If you put in a gas heater for as much as $3000, $3800 buys an awful lot of gas--and I'm an advocate of solar panels, as I have them. The only solar systems I've seen for that much are the specialty ones that go in the attic near the peak and use the attic's heat.

If you are handy, you can do much of the work, especially since it's a vinyl pool that needs a liner anyway--ideal time to do a double bottom drain.

PoolDoc
11-02-2013, 09:09 AM
One caution: pool prices are pretty much market dictated. They tend to be lowest in Florida, and highest in the Northeast and North Central states. But, in some markets, where there are only 1 or 2 contractors, they are whatever the contractor wants. I'm not sure whether Bismarck is such a location. But it's possible that you have only 1 or 2 other options, besides the contractor who quoted you, and they may be accustomed to charging similar prices.

So . . . don't blast your existing contractor, unless you'd rather abandon the pool than pay such prices. Even then, don't, since you might be described as a "difficult customer" while two contractors are standing together at the pool wholesalers waiting.

But DO try to get some other quotes, to *just* replace the liner.

BTW, thanks for the subscription.

PoolDoc
11-02-2013, 09:11 AM
Oh wow. I just looked at your original post dates. Sorry. Don't know if you still care, but I just extended your subscription by a year.