PDA

View Full Version : useing clairifiers with filter enzyme cleaners

pooltech
12-14-2012, 11:59 AM
hi. just wondering if anyone has any info. on useing enzyme filter cleaners with clairifiers. are they compatable? i here that useing the two together can cause a reaction in which the two will combine to form a sticky substance in the filters that can be extremely difficult to remove and on sand filters can cause the sand to clump together, which could be a problem. any ideas...thanks...pooltech.

chem geek
12-17-2012, 10:28 AM
I don't think an enzyme and a clarifier will be particularly difficult to remove, but I could be wrong. The more common incompatibility is between a clarifier and a metal sequestrant.

A typical clarifier contains PolyDADMAC which is a cationic (positively charged) polymer. One type of metal sequestrant is an acrylic polymer complex such as poly acrylic acid (PAA) and is an anionic (negatively charged) polymer because the acid dissociates. So these two will likely combine forming a milky precipitate/suspension. It should eventually filter out, but may be a difficult mess. In general, polymer metal sequestrants will have a negative charge since they are designed to bond with positively charged metals (e.g. iron, copper) while many clarifiers are positively charged since they are designed to bond with the negatively charged surfaces of cells (e.g. algae). So unless you know the chemical compositions and are careful, one should not use a clarifier and a metal sequestrant at the same time.