PDA

View Full Version : Inground Light Niche - not connected?

wetshoes1
05-29-2006, 11:01 AM
I bought a house with an IG pool and opening it for the first time. There is an underwater light niche that's not working, so I opened up the junction box and see that the wiring is not connected. I have no idea why. What could be the reason? was it shorting out? How can I test it? If I reconnect it, how would I go about putting it back in the pool without electrocuting myself?

I do have some experience with electric work.

Any advice would be a great help

cantileveredge
05-30-2006, 03:47 PM
I have an underground light with some electrical "feedback" that needs some investigating and am about to take on a similar check. First you say you have some electrical experience which hopefully is enough to remind you to always be extremly cautious with water involved. Most pool light systems (mine included) are low voltage which minimizes any risk of shock at the appliance. System probably has 120v connection going to a transformer ( big box on the wall - probably near your breaker panel ) The general rules of electrical tracking apply here. Shut off all power to the appliance; switches and breakers. Remove the light, check the bulb and housing. If that seems OK check power out from the transformer. You will need a meter and you will have to turn the breaker back on. Check for breaks in the wiring as you go. Use the meter to check the switch for a short. If all seems good is there a chance you cut throught the low volt wire going underground when digging around the pool? There may be a small connection box above ground near the light location. This recieves the low volt wire form the transformer. Maybe critters chewed the wires? Be careful... good luck

JohnT
05-30-2006, 03:56 PM
Most pool light systems (mine included) are low voltage which minimizes any risk of shock at the appliance.

I don't really think that is true. It may be a somewhat regional issue, but I find most are 120V. Newer installs with the LED lights aside.