PDA

View Full Version : Getting started. Old pump just died looking for a New Pump.

EnderF03
11-27-2012, 12:46 AM
Pump died on my pool this week and i am looking to replace it. I would like it to be more energy efficient but also affordable and am considering a dual speed pump. I am doing research on my own but am in the military and very time limited do to a upcoming deployment, any help would be greatly appreciated.

My current setup is 13000 gallon pool, 1hp pump, 3.1 filter area and 60 gpmfr filter rate , no water features or spa, pump is ground level and very close to the pool but i am not sure on the total head. Two main drains at the bottom of the pool and 1 skimmer that its. I currently run it 8-12 hours a day do to the hot temperatures and long pool season in south Texas.

Matt

aylad
11-27-2012, 07:20 AM
Hi, and welcome to the forum!!

Also...just wanted to start by thanking you for your service.

Your question is probably best answered by Pooldoc or Mark (mas985). I'll shoot them an email and ask them to check in here and give you some info.

mas985
11-27-2012, 10:29 AM
How old is the pump and how did it "die"? What was the make/model?

If the wet end is in good condition, you could just replace the current motor with a two speed motor and save some money.

If you need a new pump, what was the supply voltage for the old pump and can you change it?

Given the flow restrictions on your filter you might want to stick with a low HP two speed such as the up rated Superflo 3/4 HP.

EnderF03
11-27-2012, 10:15 PM
The motors bearings went out a few days ago, i believe its seven years old. I figured i would replace the wet side as well, to make sure that there wasn't an problem mixing parts.

The motor is a Century Centurion (part # 0-177215-04), p56y frame, 230 volts, 7.1 amp. Its hard to read the label on the wetside but from what is left its a Challenger Pentair 1 HP I would rather not change it unless it gave me a better option that out weighed the extra labor. I was definitely leaning toward a two speed pump and just wanted to see how small i could get away with.

Currently im looking at the Pentair 340042 SuperFlo Energy Efficient 1HP Dual Speed Pool Pump - 230V. What are your thoughts on this pump? As for the 3/4 i cant find that in two speed unless i change to the 115 volt which i guess is why you asked about the wiring? Would the 3/4 produce enough savings to justify the higher price and the labor of changing the wiring.

Thanks
Matt

mas985
11-28-2012, 10:19 AM
I know of plenty of people who replaced just the motor on the pump, including myself, so that is not really an issue at all if you decide to go that route. It actually makes things easier because you won't need to change the plumbing as you would with a new pump.

Anyway, the 1 HP Superflo is no doubt easier to find and would be similar to the pump you have now (both are 1 HP up rated). The only concern I have is with the filter. Your current pump most likely exceeds the flow rate recommendations for the filter and the 1 HP Superflo will probably as well. But luckily, sand filters are a bit more robust and can usually handle more than their rating would suggest and you have been operating that way for the past 7 years.

kiss4afrog
11-29-2012, 06:09 PM
Century part # 0-177215-04, p56y frame, 230 volts, 7.1 amp

If you google your part number you can get a one speed for about $190.00
AO Smith Centurion 1 HP Threaded Shaft Motor Part #B853
http://www.positivepoolwholesale.com/pool-motors/ao-smith/ao-smith-square-flange-1-hp-pool-motor-b853

From a quick search I found a two speed for a little under $300 I would not trust my interchange abilities and if you chose to use someone I'd call or email them the info and let them confirm or direct you to the correct bolt on motor. I've replaced motors and it's no big deal in most cases.
Specifications: HP = 1, RPM = 3600/1800, Voltage = 230, Amps = 7.2/3.0, Service Factor = 1.65, Frame = 56Y, Shaft = Threaded.
http://www.inyopools.com/Products/00200017039442.htm

If the bearings in your motor went out and the pump was OK before the motor failed I'd just go with a motor. I'd go with a two speed myself.

I'm not recommending anyone these were just quick look ups I came across.