PDA

View Full Version : Older pool with tight 90 deg bends

kiss4afrog
11-06-2012, 01:56 AM
I'm looking into is articles on pressure loss and I'm wondering if it's worth the trouble to replace the many tight 90 deg elbows in the system with wider ones. I have over ten of them and I want to move the pump and filter away from the pool as they were installed too close in my opinion and them I could enclose them to reduce operating noise and get them out of the sun.
Has anyone replaced theirs and noticed a difference? Or at least felt it was worth the time and effort?

mas985
11-06-2012, 01:07 PM
Generally it is not worth the effort. Each 90 is worth only a few feet of pipe and a small amount of pressure loss. Plus if you go with swept 90s they only reduce the head loss by about 50% of only those fittings and make plumbing a nightmare on the pad. Check this one out:

http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i169/chulaman/Pool%20Construction/PlumbingPadView4.jpg

BTW, you will get most bang from your buck by up sizing the pipe so you are much better off going with 2.5" pipe and keeping conventional fittings rather than just changing the 90s.