PDA

View Full Version : shelf life of muriatic acid / chorinating liquid

hikernut
10-15-2012, 12:31 PM
Hi,

A local grocery store has a sale on muriatic acid, $3 per gallon, which is quite a bit better than I've been paying.

Is there any reason I shouldn't "load up" at that price? Does muriatic acid have a shelf life?

And, same question for thier "Clorinating liquid", which apparently is just bleach at a higher concentration (sodium hypochlorite, I think?).

Thanks,

hikernut

aylad
10-15-2012, 09:44 PM
Check and make sure that the MA is 31%, not some of the newer stuff on the market that is advertised as safer to use. If it's 31%, I don't think it really has a shelf life as such, but since it is a very strong acid, the container may break down over time. Having adequate storage area might be a problem, too, since you don't want to store it where the fumes will contact any wiring.

Chlorinating liquid and bleach are both sodium hypochlorite, but the concentrations higher than 6% have a tendency to break down quickly, so depending on how old it is, how it was stored, and what conditions you will store it in will all be a factor in whether it's worth it or not. Bleach does lose strength when stored in heat, sunlight, etc. Generally, I wouldn't load up on the chlorine unless it's at a tremendous price, and unless you've tested it and know for sure that it's the concentration the seller says it is.

hikernut
10-16-2012, 12:47 AM
Thanks very much for your reply.

I bought a 1-2 month supply of each. Sounds like having too much acid sitting around is not worth the risk. What a mess if one of those jugs sprung a leak!

hikernut

aylad
10-16-2012, 07:56 PM
Yeah, it wouldn't be pretty--nor are the pics I've seen of what the fumes can do to electrical wiring! :(