PDA

View Full Version : Pool pump making humming noise then shuts off

Campbell
10-12-2012, 09:20 PM
My pool pump makes humming noise then shuts off without ever pumping, I can turn the blade by hand. What do I need to check next?

aylad
10-13-2012, 12:46 PM
Hi, and welcome to the forum!

There are a couple of guys around that may be able to help with the problem--I'll send a couple of emails to ask them to stop in here to see what they can offer. However, it may take some time...most folks have closed their pools by now and we don't see much of them around the forum until swim season starts again, so you may have to be patient. While you're waiting, you can log out, go to the forum home page, then look for any post made by me, Watermom, or pooldoc. In our sigs is a link to a google search feature, which will allow you to search the entire forum and archives for other, similar posts that may give you some insight. But check back, hopefully some of the equipment gurus around here will stop in and comment.

mas985
10-13-2012, 06:33 PM
If the motor never spins up, then it is probably a start capacitor. You can usually find them online or if you'd rather, take the motor to a motor shop and they can replace it for you.

aylad
10-14-2012, 01:18 AM
Thanks, Mark :)

PlatinumPS
10-17-2012, 03:43 PM
Check to make sure impellar isn't clogged. If it moves freely, then check the capacitor.

================================================== =========

Capacitor inside back cover. 2 wires connect to it. $12 part.

PoolDoc
10-30-2012, 10:36 PM
membership updated . . .