PDA

View Full Version : low calcium and damage to AGP vinal liner

jsambo1
09-28-2012, 02:04 PM
I read the frequently asked quest. before I posted this. I had a liner fall appart after three years and my pool lady said it was from not adding calcium. I mean the liner fell appart in my hands when I examined it after draining the pool. Of course now I add calcium all of the time trying to keep the level up. I read that vinal liners do not require calcium. I use chlorinating tabs in a floater and try and balance the waterwhich only needs occasional baking soda. jsamNC

waterbear
09-28-2012, 08:44 PM
I use chlorinating tabs in a floater and try and balance the waterwhich only needs occasional baking soda. jsamNC

And we have a very probable culprit If you are using only triclor then I suspect you had let the pH and TA crash more than once since a pool on trihcor needs nore than 'occasional baking soda'. I suspect you had extended times of very low pH which is KNOWN to destroy vinyl liners. Low calcium does not. How often had you been testing pH and TA during this time? It should have been weekly for the TA and daily for the pH.