PDA

View Full Version : Pool storage and odor

Lynn62
09-27-2012, 09:10 PM
Hi everyone, I am new to this forum. I took my 10x20 oval pool down and want to store it in my basement. I drained it, went inside and wiped it down with rags to make sure it was dry. Before I folded it, I sprinkled talc powder so it won't stick together. I continued to fold it, then I moved it off the tarp that Intex said to put under the pool, well, when I picked up the tarp, there was an awful odor, I guess from the dead grass! I wiped down the outside of the folded pool with bleach, but that odor is still there! Now my basement has that odor!

Any ideas why the folded pool has an odor and how I can get rid of it?

Thanks, Lynn62

Watermom
09-29-2012, 09:38 PM
i don't have the answer, but just wanted to say hi and welcome you to the Pool Forum!

Lynn62
09-29-2012, 11:10 PM
Hi,

Thank you for welcoming me.

aylad
09-30-2012, 01:20 PM
Lynn,
I'm just guessing here, but I think the talc might be the problem. Talc absorbs moisture, which is why it is good for keeping things from sticking. However, that means it will absorb any moisture from the liner and then trap it all in one place to breed bacteria until you unfold the pool again in the spring. I don't know what to do to get rid of it, other than trying a paste of water and baking soda to scrub it down with, and see if that helps.

Lynn62
09-30-2012, 02:23 PM
Hi,
Thank you for your advice. I think the smell is the rubber or vinyl of the pool..the smell outside is finally gone!
I put it back in its original box and sealed it. So far I can't smell anything. Next year I am leaving it up for the winter! .......
I will winterized it.....too much work taking it down. I like this forum....everyone is so helpful!

Thanks again, Lynn