PDA

View Full Version : Just signed the contract, and have 2 days to change details!

cityartist
09-17-2012, 12:37 PM
Greetings to all Forum folk!

I just signed the contract with my PB, and am wondering if any of the equipment parameters merit last-minute amendment, based on your experience (Solar v. Gas; pump size, etc). Here's the current breakdown:

13' X 32' pool
3 entry steps, with Baja shelf on second step
3.5' shallow end (I'm thinking of going 4' instead, so I have longer shallow end before dipping to deep)
7' deep end
2 small sheer cascade waterfalls
Gunite - med grey plaster
PIP concrete bullnosed coping
PIP concrete decking (brush finished, and colored)
Solar heating
Whisperflow pump (currently single speed 1HP pump. Do I need higher HP, and dual or variable speed, to manage solar heating, cascades and filtering, even though I don't have a spa? BP says not necessary)
One (1) LED underwater light
Pentair 420 Clean and Clear Cartridge filter

Thanks for any thoughts and advice!

Spensar
09-17-2012, 07:49 PM
You may wish to read http://www.poolsolutions.com/tips/the-bigger-pool-pump-scam.html and do some calcs on your pump flow rate. A 2 speed pump may be a good option so that you can run on low and save operating costs. Others on the forum have the expertise in this area, I'm just flagging it as something to think about.

I'm a big advocate of using a solar blanket when heating a pool, I wonder if you have give a blanket any thought to go along with your Solar heating? My pool came with the house, and one of the best features is that the solar blanket reel is permanently installed at the end of the pool, so it is really easy to put it on and off. A lot of people I know have to either fold and unfold the blanket, or drag the reel from the side of the yard, and don't use the blanket because of the hassle. Depending on where you are on the West Coast, this may not be a big deal, but if you have some cool nights, the blanket is really beneficial.

cityartist
09-18-2012, 09:33 PM
Thanks for those links! Yes, I'm considering a solar blanket, so good to know it worked for you. Nice to know bigger (pump) is not necessarily better. I will ask for the 2-speed option, though.

Again, thanks for your feedback.

Spensar
09-19-2012, 11:53 PM
Good thread here on variable speed pumps, including another article link.

http://www.poolforum.com/pf2/showthread.php?18254-Variable-speed-pumps-US-Dept-of-Energy-guide-%28May-2012%29