PDA

View Full Version : Right pump for my pool?

travelrider
09-16-2012, 10:01 PM
My pool contractor just completed an amazing remodel of my 1973 pool but I think in an effort to save me a few bucks he chose the wrong pool pump. Initially he thought my old pump would be fine but then recommended a new 1.5hp pump which he sold me for $450 installed. I'm thinking I should have spent twice that amount or more on a variable speed pump and I'm interested in your opinions. I'm willing to take a hit on the "new" pool pump and replace it if that's the right answer.

My pool is only 9000 gallons (give or take) after the remodel. We filled in the deep end to make it a party pool and created a swim-out in the shallow end and added a bench seat which significantly reduced the volume of the pool.
Based on 9000 gallons, it would seem that I would need a very small pump, but we also put in some water features which require significant water flow...
We have the following:
Intake is on the main drain and the skimmer - two 1.5" pipes
Two returns on a single 1.5" pipe
Three therapy jets on 2" pipe (combined)
Two deck jets on 1.5" pipe (combined)
Two bubblers on a 1.5" pipe (combined)

The Sta-rite 1.5hp single speed pump will not run all of the features simultaneously but when the pool is just circulating water and not being used it seems that I have significant overkill with a 1.5 hp single speed motor going.

I'd like to have something that would allow me to run the pool pump 24/7 and not cost me a fortune. Ideally, I'd like my minimum operating speed to be running the two returns and the two bubblers (even if the bubblers are only barely breaking the top of the water) - we like the visual water ripple effect they create. At the opposite end of the spectrum, I'd like to be able to be sitting on the bench enjoying the therapy jets while the bubblers are on full blast and the deck jets are operating...

I mentioned the pipe sizes because I'm not sure if we have enough intake for the output I would need regardless of pump size. Thoughts on this would be appreciated although the pool pump choice is my primary question for this post.

So... what pump would you have for this pool? Pentair IntelliPro? Hayward EcoStar? Something else? Is a MAX of 1.5hp really enough with some of the more advanced pumps?

thanks!!!

CarlD
09-17-2012, 02:30 PM
You haven't given us one of the most important factors: What kind and size filter do you have? If the filter's capacity is greater than your pump's, all you need is a timer.
If your filter's capacity is less than your pump's, either your pump is too big or your filter is too small.

travelrider
09-17-2012, 03:26 PM
I have an antique Hayward Sand Filter (model unknown) that the Pool Contractor said was still in good condition and didn't need to be replaced. It's 2.64 cu ft and has a design flow rate of 60 GPM.

Watermom
09-29-2012, 10:05 PM
I see that you still haven't gotten a recommendation. I'm going to bump your post back up in hopes that Mark will see it and offer an opinion for you.

mas985
09-30-2012, 06:09 PM
Part of you problem is probably the filter size. A small sand filter has quite a bit of head loss so no matter what size pump you have, the flow rate will be reduced by small plumbing and a small filter. Also, forcing high flow rates through a small filter, which you are probably doing now, will most likely shorten the life of the filter. You can't do much about the plumbing but it might be a good idea to increase the size of your filter a couple of sizes.

But even with that I am still surprised that the flow rate would not be high enough for all those features. A few questions:

Can you be more specific as to what happens when you try to run all three features?

What is your clean filter pressure and gauge height relative to the water level?

Are there three separate return pipes going to the three sets of features?

What is the distance between the pool and pump?

What is the current make/model pump you have?