PDA

View Full Version : Is stabilizer needed late in the year for shutdown?

Pibster
09-11-2012, 04:23 PM
It's late in the year and I'm using more bleach than normal. I know that I could use some stabilizer pucks but I've put off buying any because it's so late. I know that chlorine is effected by warm temperature. Should I just keep adding the bleach or would it be wise to get some stabilizer also. Swimming is probably done for the year.

waterbear
09-11-2012, 09:40 PM
Post a set of test results and we can better answer you. Bottom line, if the stabilizer is low you need some

Pibster
09-12-2012, 08:31 AM
PH and alkalinity are fine, just using way too much bleach. I'll add the stabilizer. Thanks.

waterbear
09-13-2012, 01:40 AM
What is the stabilizer reading? What is your daily FC loss? Have you had the bleach all season so it might have lost some strength? How are you testing? We really need test numbers to advise you since there are several thins that could be going on.

Spensar
09-13-2012, 10:02 AM
waterbear, in Nova Scotia Pibster is likely winterizing and closing the pool within the next month. The cost of stabilizer may be greater than the chlorine to get to shut down. Though there could be benefit in helping to retain the chlorine level after closed, and until the water starts to freeze up.

Would this change the stabilizer recommendation for this circumstance?

waterbear
09-13-2012, 11:10 AM
I would really want to see the test resutls first. Even for a month it might be a good idea. It might be worthwhile to chlorinate with dichlor instead of bleach since it will add 9 ppm CYA for every 10 ppm chlorine added BUT without knowing the current stabilizer level and the daily FC loss and if there is any CC it really is impossible to say. There could also be something esle going on such as a nascent algae bloom and that would not be good right before closing.
Finally:
PH and alkalinity are fine
are not test results that give us any useful info.