PDA

View Full Version : Planning a pool in Dallas. Planning questions.

mmcaleer
09-10-2012, 10:55 AM
Hi,

I am currently planning a pool in north Dallas and I am trying to decide on a way to clean the water. So far I am leaning towards a SWCG system. I was looking into Ozone and UV but decided against those. I guess some of my questions would be are there any materials for the coping around the pool to consider since I am going salt? Any to stay away from? I guess the only chlorine, besides the salt generator, I need to worry about would be for shocking, which I would go liquid.

Filter is going to be cartridge, pump will be variable speed. Interior will be pebble. I am also going to add a slide, aerators, raised spa and the deck will be exposed aggregate to match what we already have and to keep the cost down.

Any input for the planning stage will be appreciated.

Mike

CarlD
09-10-2012, 08:25 PM
Remember: A slide and aerator will cause....aeration ( :) ), which, in turn continually raises pH, so be prepared for that. Also, many SWCG systems seem to raise pH as well (not sure why--our resident chemists can explain it better). So you will constantly be compensating for one or both. That's ok, but expect it, and expect to add acid all the time.

SWCG is, of course, a chlorine system so other forms of chlorine work with it. I would suggest strongly that when the pool is new you use floaters full of tri-chlor tabs to both raise your stabilizer level to the SWCG manufacturer's suggested level (usually 60-80ppm) and, because tri-chlor is very acidic, to help keep the pH under control, especially when the walls of the pool are curing.

Be sure to buy a Taylor K-2006 or K-2006C test kit before you fill the pool. From Day 1 it will be your BFF for maintaining your pool.

mmcaleer
09-15-2012, 01:30 PM
Thanks for the information. I guess I will look for a pool company that supports my wish of a SWCG. If they don't I will move on.

Watermom
09-16-2012, 08:54 AM
Hi,

I am currently planning a pool in north Dallas and I am trying to decide on a way to clean the water. So far I am leaning towards a SWCG system.
Just to clarify ...... SWCGs don't clean water.