PDA

View Full Version : Indoor Pool Venting Issue -- Help!

Pool Newbie
09-08-2012, 12:16 AM
Hi, my HVAC contractor says NO ONE who will give him a price for venting equipment for my indoor pool in the heated room in my garage (12 x 15 feet). Correction, Desert Aire would be happy to do it for $17,000. Yikes! I guess I could stop eating for half a year!

Presumably the issue with venting is because I want to use chlorine. Has anyone else had this problem in trying to install an indoor pool?

This would seem to force me to use Bromine, which I haven’t been able to find much out about here on the forum, so I’m assuming it’s not supported?

I know PoolDoc uses hydrogen peroxide, and while I like what I’ve read about it, I think I read it’s high maintenance … I’m assuming you have to add more than once a day? Because of my daily schedule I know committing to something that will require me to constantly check and likely more than once a day is likely to end up in a disaster.

If anyone KNOWS or HAS installed an indoor pool with a chlorine sanitizer with the proper venting equipment OTHER than Desert Aire, I would appreciate hearing from you.

If anyone has any suggestions of an alternate sanitizer they’ve safely used indoors, I welcome that as well.

The good news is that the exercise pool will be used pretty much just by me, with occasional visits by family and friends, but I really want to try to avoid algae (I know, who doesn’t?) This exercise pool is very important to me. For 3 years, I have been battling severe back pain, and for the last 2 thru the use of the YMCA pool, I’ve been winning that battle, but now the YMCA is not an option, so I would be very grateful to any help you can give me. Thanks!

aylad
10-02-2012, 12:31 PM
Bumping this post back up. You might want to use the google search feature in my sig to look for threads regarding venting. This summer Pooldoc was discussing this with another poster that, if I remember correctly, was trying to enclose an already existing pool. Later this afternoon when I have time I'll try to look up the thread, but in the meantime, try the google link and see if you find any other helpful info.

Pool Newbie
10-09-2012, 09:59 PM
Thanks Janet. Didn't realize how superior the google search was compared to forum search. Learned quite a bit from the search, but of course came up with some questions.

We're planning to use the pool April - October. I'm afraid it will be too expensive to heat over the winter in PA, but may change my mind if it looks better than I think it will. We're planning to use peroxide (not chlorine), UV, and the algaecide you recommend.

So first question is how can we monitor the Peroxide level? I don't think a Taylor test works for that, does it? Do I need to worry about PH, alkalinity and water hardness since I know most of those had to do with keeping the chlorine level at it's best?

We will be venting the room, and I'm thinking we may only need a dehumidifier sporadically? Since we're not planning to use chlorine, is electrical wiring in pool area still a concern?

I'm planning to keep the humidity between 55 and 60, does the room temperature need to remain at a specific temp or can it fluctuate upwards say 5 - 10 degrees? Planning to heat water to 80 degrees, and room temp. to approx. 85 degrees using a gas heater. Can the gas heater be in the same room as the pool if it's vented outside? For ventilation, we were told to get a 16" fan (3000 cfm) by the place we ordered from, but since the room is only 2000 cubic feet (16 x 12 x 10), doesn't that sound like overkill ... wouldn't that mean it's clearing the entire room completely every 2/3 of a minute?

Sorry for so many questions. First HVAC guy didn't want to take the job, the second lied to me, and the third one (our current guy) says he's never done a pool, so I appreciate any help you folks can give me!

aylad
10-09-2012, 10:23 PM
Pooldoc is really the one you need to answer your questions, since he's one of the only people that I know of with personal experience. He's been away from the forum for a couple of weeks, but hopefully will be back soon. I'll shoot him an email and ask him to look in on this thread as soon as he gets back. Sorry I can't be of more help!