PDA

View Full Version : New Member: Polaris 280 with Booster pump Vs Paramount Pool Valet 3

mnittler
09-06-2012, 02:37 PM
Does anyone have an opinion between using a Polaris 280 with a booster pump and the pop up in-pool Paramount Pool Valet 3 system? Which is better (reliable)? I am getting up in age and pool cleaning is not on the top of my things to do list. My pool installer is offering a lifetime warrantee on the Paramount nozzles (They will replace if a problem comes up) but no lifetime warrantee on the Polaris. I also have a spa connected to the pool and they will install the nozzles in the spa and on the steps for the same price. Just trying to decide while I still have an option.

waterbear
09-07-2012, 01:52 AM
If it were me I would go with the Polaris 280.

PoolDoc
09-08-2012, 10:07 PM
The in-floor cleaning systems result in MASSIVE increase in your pump needs, and resultant electrical operating costs. They do seem to work fairly well in dealing with dust and tiny debris, so they are functional out West, and in Florida's screened pools. But where there is larger debris, like leaves, bugs and grass clippings, they perform far less well.

Also, they seem to fail after about 5 years . . . and the lifetime warranties don't seem to be unconditional.

mnittler
09-10-2012, 07:32 PM
Does anybody have an estimate on energy requirements between the 1-1/2hp pump the installer was recommending with the Valet 3 system and a Polaris 280 with booster pump? The installer was recommend using a VFD Pentair pump but would that offset the extra power requirements of the nozzles? I think the booster pump for the 280 is a 3/4 hp? So that would appear to be 1/2 the savings right there? My assumption is that the filter pump would have to be running while the Polaris was in operation so I would lose a little energy there also? What is the normal Polaris daily cleaning time for a Polaris 280 to clean approximately 15' X 36' pool? What do people use to clean the connected spa and steps when using a Polaris (granted the spa is only 7' X 7')? This is a Salt water pool.

PoolDoc
09-10-2012, 08:27 PM
Polaris 280 has a 3/4HP booster pump that runs continuously when the cleaner is operating. Usually, it's tied to a timer since it doesn't need to run 24/7. Electrical usage should be around 1KWH -- that's around $0.10/hr in many places. If you run the pump 4 hours per day, that would be about $12/month.

And, using a Polaris 280 does not require you to upsize the pump in the slightest.