PDA

View Full Version : pump leak

reebok
08-30-2012, 09:03 PM
Hello,

I have a duraglas pump that I have gone through about 4 or 5 motors with in 6 years. I just installed another new one yesterday. I always have a leak problem, though I always install new seals. I have watched multiple youtube videos and looked up various pump manuals (including my own) to ensure I am installing it the right way. It leaks between the motor itself and the back plastic housing. Could it be anything at all besides the seal? I have verified on http://www.ussealmfg.com/ that it's the correct one for my pump with the part number from the manual. from this image the leak is behind part #5 and in front of part #4.
http://cf.mp-cdn.net/56/45/1c45e5187cacc736d61e264b3fa1.jpg
it does not leak when the motor is off, and the water stays full in the pump basket area.

Thanks.

aylad
08-31-2012, 07:38 PM
Sounds like the impeller shaft seal to me...when you replace the seal, does it stop leaking at all, even for a short amount of time?

Welcome to the forum!

reebok
08-31-2012, 07:50 PM
Hello,
I just put a new one in the with new motor yesterday and there is no change whatsoever. the old one was less than a week old too. it fits in so well I can't understand how it could possibly be leaking.

aylad
09-01-2012, 12:47 PM
I dunno--but there are others on the forum that probably will. However, traffic is falling off at the forum right now, so it may take a few days before folks check in again. I'll ask Pooldoc to check in here and see if he can offer you any suggestions.

reebok
09-01-2012, 06:33 PM
Praise the Lord I finally found the problem. there was actually a crack in the seal plate itself. I was able to block it off and no more leaking.

Charlie_R
09-02-2012, 06:56 AM
A question for you, Reebok.

In that exploded view you linked, it appears that callouts #4 and #8 both would be contacting #5. Am I right? If that is true, then you probably need to look VERY closely at the area where they would be touching #5. If there is even the slightest deformation there, you would get a slow leak.

As I don't have experience with pool pumps, I am going by my experience with industrial and automotive equipment.