PDA

View Full Version : Closing AG pool

aciam
08-26-2012, 11:19 AM
Hi all!
I have a 10,000 gal AG pool that I converted from Baquacil to chlorine last summer ( It was the nightmare conversion that ultimately needed a drain and refill in which you all were key in achieving success). I closed last summer following the instructions in the sticky by watermom and Carl and after I added my rather large dose of polyquat my pH skyrocketed delaying my closing by a day or two while I fixed it. No one on the forum really knew why that happened but we opened the pool this summer to crystal clear water and have had a great season of swimming. I have used only bleach, baking soda and borax all summer - no other chemicals at all including no polyquat - and the pool has been great.

I went back to re-read the sticky on closing AG pools and read through a couple other threads in order to prepare for our closing in a few weeks.

I noticed that Ben had written one place that he would be posting tips for closing but I can't seem to find them. Help?

Also, I noticed watermom does not use polyquat in closing anymore - so I wondered what I should do this year? I was thinking maybe use a smaller dose so my FC and pH aren't so affected but I am still protecting my pool water over the winter. We close with a solid cover and a pillow, and only drain a few feet of water out. We are in Mass.

Thanks! aciam

Watermom
08-26-2012, 03:22 PM
I'm don't think Ben wrote that new guide yet.

I close late and open early thus I don't really need Polyquat since I start chlorinating before algae has a chance to start. If you want to use it, it certainly won't hurt anything.