PDA

View Full Version : Laars Hot Shot Pool Heater?

Mr.Mooks
08-24-2012, 09:42 AM
Hello. Looking for some help with my LP pool heater if indeed it is.

I purchased a used Laars Hot Shot pool heater that says on tag it is LP. The lady I bought if off was sure her son who was a gas fitter was using Natural Gas with it. She cannot ask him as he passed away in an accident! I hooked it up to a water source with pressure and to a 20 pound propane tank. Oh I forgot it came with a regulator as well. So hooked up tank regulator to heater. Pilot lite no problem. When I turned the water on the pressure switch open and the burner ignited. This is where it got weird. The flame was very large and orange in colour. A lot of black soot was coming out of it and seemed to be running very hot. The water did flow through and was heating up nicely. I thought it was just some dirt and cobwebs bring off so I left it for awhile. The flame did not change. So I shut it down. Any ideas? I have read it may be blocked orifices with spider nest? Also I guess my big question is if it really has been switched to natural gas would this be the outcome? If indeed he was really as gas fitter he would have relabeled it natural gas like you are supposed to! The only bonus to all my work is I know that all the components work just have to tweak it a little.

Any insight would be awesome.

Thx.

kelemvor
08-24-2012, 01:25 PM
Natural Gas and Propane appliances like your heater can be converted from one to the other. I would not run propane in it unless you convert it back to propane first. Here's a little information on it: http://www.propane101.com/lpgasapplianceconversions.htm

Excerpt:
The conversion of any gas appliance to another fuel involves not only replacing the orifices (fixed and pilot), but the replacement of appliance regulators, burners and possibly the venting as well.

If you have a gas company locally, they may be able to help you convert it to propane if that's what you want. Personally, I'd probably look into getting some natural gas and using it with that.

Mr.Mooks
08-24-2012, 02:35 PM
Thanks for your replie kelemvor. I have checked into the conversion and it can be done but the parts cost $850.00. What I realy need to find out is what it is currently set to use propanr or has it been converted already natural gas. Either way I don't care because I can use either LP or Natural Gas but I need to know which it is now. Any easy way to check?

Charlie_R
08-24-2012, 05:01 PM
Given your description of the heater on propane, my guess would be that the heater is set to NG. Your flame should be only 1.5 - 2 inches long, and be blue with a slight yellow tip.

Assuming a multiple burner set, you might check the tubes to ensure they are clear. But usually, if the tubes have anything in them, the flame would be small, and weak. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'll bet the flame you had sounded loud. Roaring even. That tells me that the orifice was too large for the type of gas. Was the pilot flame also long and more yellow than blue, with a noticeable space between the flame and the tube? I'd bet it was.

Mr.Mooks
08-24-2012, 07:44 PM
To Charlie R. The burner flame was louder than I would think it should be. Weird thing is the pilot was a perfect blue colour. Mabey a little space but I have never seen it operate properly so have nothing to compare it to. That is what also has me puzzeled!! It is a multiple burner set. Thx for your input!