PDA

View Full Version : Opening pool

brian87gt
05-27-2006, 03:00 PM
When I opened my pool last week (21 x 48 lined above ground) the water was a nasty green , and you couldn't see the bottom. I had the water tested and added the reccomended chemicals. I was told to use 4 bags of shock. After the filter ran for a few hours the green has turned to a brown. Is this the dead algae, and am I going to probably need to flock it to be able to vaccum it all out? Thanks

aylad
05-27-2006, 06:33 PM
It could be the dead algae, or it could be metals that were in your water precipitating out. Have you run your filter 24/7 since then, and is the water getting any better?

If you'll run a set of tests and post numbers for Cl, pH, TA, and CYA, as well as any metal content, it would help us give you useful advice....

Janet

brian87gt
05-27-2006, 08:06 PM
It could be the dead algae, or it could be metals that were in your water precipitating out. Have you run your filter 24/7 since then, and is the water getting any better?

If you'll run a set of tests and post numbers for Cl, pH, TA, and CYA, as well as any metal content, it would help us give you useful advice....

JanetI had the water tested before I added the shock , and there were not any metals present.

aylad
05-28-2006, 12:33 AM
Okay, but we still need some good numbers.......

Janet

brian87gt
05-28-2006, 01:11 AM
Well, I jst left the pool uncovered ant the end of the year (dumb, I know) anyway, I had the water tested and it was pretty much out of everything. The CYA was at 15, and the PH was at 8.6. I added the stuff to bring the PH down, then added 4 bags of shock, and then I added the intial dose of algicide, as well as a couple of pucks in the skimmer basket. The water was a nasty, stinky green when I started. Now it's a milky white/green color, but it no longer smells. I'm gonna test the water again tommorow and see where to go from there.It's 10,000 gallons

gregugadawg
05-28-2006, 01:28 AM
wouldnt suggest throwing tablets in the skimmer basket unless you wanna end up buying a new motor for your pump and new gaskets for your valves