PDA

View Full Version : Suggestions on how to clean Pool before packing it up?

RedwingT
08-14-2012, 08:52 AM
I'm not exactly sure when I'm going to take down my pool, it depends on if the weather holds out or not. With these cooler nights and daytime temps only hitting 80 the water has been pretty cold. So I guess when the mood strikes me is when its coming down.

I've had some algae and am currently in +SHOCK+ mode so I figure I need to clean pool thoroughly before taking down and packing up. Mind you the algae was never out of control, the pool never turned green etc. Nice clear sparkling water, I just would have a break out every so often and I'd be on top of it immediately.

There was a thread in the last few days that Ben had advised someone:
" Just drain 3/4 of the pool, add ALL the algaecide, slosh it around with a brush, and leave it overnight. Slosh again the next day and finish draining. That should take care of your algae, and give you a clean pool to refill."
Granted these instructions are not for take down but for refilling.

I had been wondering How I was going to clean the pool walls etc before packing it up. I have absolutely no slimy feeling to my walls or floor but still feel it necessary to do something before folding it up. Of course I plan on vacuuming the pool and keeping the chlorine level up before draining. Maybe it's my OCD in play IDK, am I over thinking this? lol

I plan on packing the liner in a tightly sealed plastic tote with plastic btwn the tote and the lid to keep out the bugs and any other tiny critters that may try and find their way in. Seeing how I may also have a stray cat living in my garage for the winter, duct tape has even crossed my mind to assure he doesn't get it open.

So to make my long story short--Anyone out there that's ever done this before have any tips and tricks for a first time Intex owner that will make take down easier and not negatively effect next years start up? I do have a bottle of AquaChem algaecide that I could use but don't know if the residue from the chemical will remain and hurt the liner while being stored. Thanks and sorry for the long post, I am sleep deprived this morning and just couldn't find the right words to shorten this post up! :(

aylad
09-01-2012, 02:33 PM
bumping this post up to see if anybody has suggestions...

Charlie_R
09-02-2012, 06:49 AM
No suggestions, but I do thank you for your post, as I am also in that situation.

What I am probably going to do, barring more experienced suggestions is drain until 4 - 6 inches remain then add 1/2 gal bleach + 1/2 gal algaecide then thoroughly scrub the entire pool, inside and out. The instructions that came with the liner say that it needs to be well dried before folding for storage, so that is also in the plan.

7sanders
09-02-2012, 10:47 AM
We typically drain all but a few inches, add a little dish soap, toss in the kids and have them scrub all surfaces, drain and rinse a few times. Then let dry for a day or two in the sun before packing away.

Based on my, and my friends' past experience, you need to make sure the pool is 100% dry before packing it up. The slightest bit of moisture and you could have mold/mildew growing on it inside that tub and may open it up in the spring to find the mildew has eaten through some of the vinyl (My friend's Intex the mildew had completely eaten through the air ring, all the way around the pool!) We have had mice or crickets eat small holes through the vinyl liner and pool inflatables that were in boxes or plastic tubs in our storage shed and garage in the past. (Many of the plastic tubs will still have "air holes" under the handles and I'm guessing that is how those crickets got into the tubs)

Charlie_R
09-02-2012, 02:44 PM
Many of the plastic tubs will still have "air holes" under the handles and I'm guessing that is how those crickets got into the tubs

So duct tape around the lid it is.

Your dish soap routine -- is that with or without mustard algae remnants? That is why I would be using the bleach, as most algae can survive being dehydrated for years, and as soon as conditions permit, come back in a full bloom. I'd rather avoid that.

7sanders
09-03-2012, 05:55 PM
without mustard algae as far as I know. One year it was some REALLY green/slimy water in a smaller pool -1500 gal (when it's 117 outside, the pool wouldn't get under 105, and wouldn't keep chlorine no matter how many bottles I added!) and the next year it was fine and had no algae blooms (but again, probably not mustard algae)

RedwingT
09-03-2012, 08:56 PM
I haven't drained as of yet. Have a terrible bout of Tendinitis in my hands that flared while in the pool about a week n half ago and still am unable to do what needs to be done to clean while draining and after. Which works out well since my son is at his dads for the holiday wknd and I got to enjoy the pool with a few of my friends for a change. ;)

Looks like we are going to have some high 80's this wk and then down hill from there. So I will enjoy the water (just got out) until I can physically drain, clean, dry and dismantle. I am finally able to bend my thumbs without to much resistance or pain. Taking over a week off from the computer I'm sure helped tremendously! So glad I got that solar cover and didn't wait until next season!

RedwingT
09-03-2012, 09:40 PM
I wanted to thank everyone here for their suggestions.

Charlie, You have helped me so much during this short season with my pool difficulties from the start of my journey! Without your input I seriously would have been at a loss! Sorry if I kinda clung on to you but our situations were so similar, and having the same pool it was hard not to.

\-/ Here's to next year and getting things right from the start! Cheers ;)

(That up there, my lame try at a beverage) lol

Charlie_R
09-03-2012, 10:26 PM
Thank you, RedwingT.

Just trying to give back to this wonderful community.

Yes, on to next season! May all our troubles be behind us!

BigDave
09-07-2012, 01:45 PM
When I had my Intex donuts, I'd turn the empty bag (liner) uside down over some lawn chairs to help hold it up and in place with the edge of the pool touching the ground. Then I'd put two 18" "Whole House Circulator" fans under the edge and inflate the bag - it dried out in a day.