PDA

View Full Version : Plasticizers, acrylics, and water

cygnusecks
05-27-2006, 08:38 AM
All,

Yesterday I sealed my concrete paver decking and I got some of the sealant into the pool water. When a drop or two of sealent hit the water, it formed what looked like a oil slick. Eventually the stuff clumped together into white grossness and was sucked into the skimmer. I manually skimmed some of it off. Am I correct in presuming that this stuff is really only bad for the filter and other plastic parts? The manufacturer recommended a metal paint tray while applying, so I don't think it affects metal that much (pump, heater, etc). It also didn't affect water chemistry (not surprising, since the stuff doesn't mix with water at all).

handy1
06-15-2006, 06:51 PM
I posted a similar question (my horrible contractor tried to remove the sealer and blew it all into the pool, along with the acetone he used). The pool store suggested "First Aid for Pools" - only $20 so I thought it was worth a try. It worked like a charm - the oily slick was gone by the next day. My filter is gummed up, however, so I'm having the sand changed. You may need to do that too. Keep an eye on it, since you may have less stuff that got filtered.

mbar
06-15-2006, 08:27 PM
I had the top of my fibreglasss pool sanded and recoated with gelcoat. It really made a mess - I skimmed off most of what I could and put a stocking leg around the skimmer basket. Some got through to the filter. I haven't noticed any sighns of anything wrong with the sand or filter. I did backwash a lot when it was first finished. Lots of white stuff came out. I think you will be fine. The water was cloudy at first - I shocked the pool for a couple of days.