PDA

View Full Version : New Quick set pool with New ebay sand filter system, low pressure

trickedout
08-08-2012, 12:47 PM
Hello, Found this forum and been reading it since day one.

Pools no longer intimidate me, haha. Anyways, I've purchased a 15x42 Quick set pool with the Inflatable ring. I also purchased a Xtreme Power 13" sand filter with a 3/4hp pump. I've purchased sand from Leslie's and filled the tank like instructed. Everything seems fine pump primes and there seems to be no air suction or leaks but the filter pressure is only at 5-7.5psi. I've got the standard hoses that came with the stock pump which I think are either 1 1/4 or 1 1/2in. and in 4ft lengths. This is all a brand new setup so I know nothing is clogging the lines. Why is the pressure so low and is there something wrong? The return jet has pressure but I'm not sure how much it should have...I don't see it circulating any water from the surface.

Also is it normal for a sand filter multi-port valve NOT to have a WASTE setting. All it has is filter, backwash,rinse, and winter. Thanks for any help you can give me.

PoolDoc
08-08-2012, 08:00 PM
Sounds like you may be familiar with more conventional pools, rather than Intex-type pools.

If you have decent circulation, then I think that's about as much as you should expect. You're not going to see the sort of pressures you do on inground pools, and actually, that's good thing.

Ben

=============================

+ It's much easier to answer your questions, when we have the details about your pool in one place. We often 'waste' the first few posts back and forth collecting information. So, please complete our new Pool Chart form -- it takes about 30 seconds, but will save much more than that.
Pool Chart Entry Form (http://goo.gl/cNPUO)

+ Get a cheap OTO (yellow drops) / phenol test kit, or if available at YOUR Walmart (check availability (http://www.walmart.com/ip/HTH-6-Way-Test-Kit/17043668)), get the HTH 6-way DROPS test kit, which is compatible with the Taylor K2006. Test the pool as soon and you can, and post the results. If you get the 6-way kit, ALSO test the water you FILL the pool with, especially if it's a well, and post THOSE results as well. (The HTH is the best available kit you're likely to find locally, but it's not the K-2006. It can only provide rough measurements chlorine levels above 5 ppm, and it measures "TOTAL" hardness, rather than "CALCIUM" hardness, which is not ideal.)

+ Having a good test kit makes pool care easier for EVERYONE, but is an ESSENTIAL tool for pools with problems. A good test kit means a kit that can test chlorine from 0 - 25 ppm, pH, alkalinity, calcium hardness, and stabilizer with reasonable accuracy. Test strips (AKA 'guess-strips' ) do NOT meet this standard. Some pool store testing is accurate; most is not. The ONLY way you'll know whether your pool store is accurate or bogus, is by testing accurately your own self. On the other hand, pool store 'computer' dosing recommendations are NEVER trustworthy -- ignore them. They are designed to sell more chemicals than you need, and WILL cause many pool problems.

trickedout
08-08-2012, 08:03 PM
Ok as long as it seems ok I'm fine with it. I mean the vacuum seems to work fine on the suction so I guess that should be my first clue that everything seems in check. Any thoughts on the no waste setting on the multi-port valve? Is it just such cheap quality that it doesn't have it or may I be overlooking something?

PoolDoc
08-08-2012, 10:09 PM
Intex pools and gear are great value for the money, but you're comparing an Intex filter system, with systems that cost 3x - 10x as much. Those systems will have features and functions lacking on the Intex.

trickedout
08-08-2012, 10:27 PM
Intex pools and gear are great value for the money, but you're comparing an Intex filter system, with systems that cost 3x - 10x as much. Those systems will have features and functions lacking on the Intex.

Yes I agree, however I do not have an intex filter and pump. Looks to be an off brand eBay model which could vary well be below even intex quality but as far as I've seen, even the cheapest intex sand pumps have a waste feature.

PoolDoc
08-08-2012, 10:30 PM
eBay has "models" ?? ;)

trickedout
08-08-2012, 11:34 PM
eBay has "models" ?? ;)

Lol, guess not just the best way to describe it considering There NO information about it elsewhere.. Heres a Link http://www.ebay.com/itm/Xtreme-2400GPH-13-Sand-Filter-w-Swimming-Pool-Pump-UL-List-10000GAL-/390439740672?_trksid=p5197.m1992&_trkparms=aid%3D111000%26algo%3DREC.CURRENT%26ao%3 D1%26asc%3D14%26meid%3D1195447751109744831%26pid%3 D100015%26prg%3D1006%26rk%3D1%26